The Sewing Place

Are we too careful with our scissors?!

Acorn

Re: Are we too careful with our scissors?!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 13:58:57 PM »
Does that mean I was right to use a smidge of WD40 on my scissors?   ><
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 14:02:36 PM »
I use WD 40 on everything :D........not salads though
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 14:05:47 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 14:23:17 PM »
I used scissors from my sewing room to open a tin of paint yesterday.

:o

I have several pairs of expensive hairdressing scissors (£200+ each) so I’m very careful with all my scissors. DH always has to check even when using the scissors from the kitchen drawers.  ;)

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 15:52:21 PM »
Does that mean I was right to use a smidge of WD40 on my scissors?   ><

Yes, it's not edible!

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 16:05:53 PM »
Well, I have a pair of pattern cutting scissors that I have to sharpen twice a year due to dullness.  I also have a pair of carpet shears that I use on denim that need the same.

My regular scissors and shears get it once a year.  My tailor points go every 2, not because I don't dull them, but I have 4 pairs.

Paper and heavy fabric=dull scissors in my experience.

JudyN

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 16:15:05 PM »
My mum's bread knives were never the same after my brother and I used them for making dens out of large cardboard boxes....

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 16:38:57 PM »
 :S Did you make windows @JudyN? How very pan-loafy!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

JudyN

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 17:20:36 PM »
:S Did you make windows @JudyN? How very pan-loafy!  0_0

Yup, and doors! We knew how to entertain ourselves back in those days!

Marniesews

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 23:37:02 PM »
Well, I must admit I raised an alarmed eyebrow during Janet Pray's Bluprint class on Industry Secrets (or it might have been the Advanced Techniques one) when she said in 'the Industry' tailors placed the card patterns on their fabric and cut through paper and fabric together with their weighty shears. According to her it is was common practice and no harm came from it. She recommends this as a good technique for home sewers too. It was one of the titular 'secrets' she shared.

I did wonder though, how often those factories arranged a visit from the scissor sharpening man (must be missing a technical term here, cutler doesn't seem right) and had all their scissors serviced on a regular basis. If they had need of multiple pairs of scissors, this probably made commercial sense rather than having multiple pairs for different uses. I have seen people hailed as highly skilled seamstresses sewing with a great beast of a pair of scissors at their side that they seem to use for everything, including thread snips.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Nevis5

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 06:59:27 AM »
I'm very lucky as I'm the only left handed one in the house and all my scissors are proper left handed ones.  Years of nagging means that they know not to touch  :devil:

Luckily, when my nutty elder sister decided to trim the lawn edging WITH MY SNIPPY SCISSORS she stole the old blunt ones I use for paper.  Otherwise she may no longer be in possession of ten fingers and thumbs  :devil:

snoozi soozi

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
Is this too careful?  0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Gernella

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
Ahem !!!  :[   

I'm going to take them to our local repair cafe next month to give all the volunteers there a good laugh!

What is one of those? We could do with something like that around here or at the very least a little man who can mend anything.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 17:54:20 PM »

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 02:47:12 AM »
None in Norfolk at all  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 19:13:13 PM »
https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/

Thanks for the link @Vezelay I had never heard of a repair cafe, and guess what there is one opened in my nearest town just 4 miles out of my village  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)