The Sewing Place

Hello

UttaRetch

Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 17:23:31 PM »
@Franki, I'm a clothes maker but being a selfish moo, only sew for myself.  :D  I have no interest in any other form of sewing.

The classic, sprung, Silver Cross now costs between £1,500 and £2,000:o  I have seen a couple of originals in different states of disrepair, but nobody seemed interested.  Not surprising as they are too big and cumbersome for the average home, but they are fabulous.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 20:18:20 PM »
Welcome to TSP.

I'm impressed that you tackled repairing the hood of a coachbuilt pram.  It's not that the pram is too big for the home, but too big and heavy for the average car, even the chelsea tractors.  I had a lovely Silvercross pram for DD1, but even though the body came off the chassis I couldn't get it in and out of the car on my own so if we went further than walking distance she went in a cheapie carry cot with wheels until she was big enough for a small folding buggie and a car seat.  Car seats back then weren't made for newborns, the carry cot just went on the back seat. :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 20:28:14 PM »
Welcome, Franki.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Franki

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 20:29:43 PM »
Sounds like your Silver Cross was similar to mine Brenda. I used to take mine on the bus in Sheffield, and leave it outside the shops while baby and I went inside. I particularly wanted to use it again for GC while I was working in the garden.

Tim Sr

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 21:52:03 PM »
Hello and Welcome @Franki
I am a new one to sewing here.
Glad to have you join in the fun!

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »
I would love to see a pic of your newly refurbished SilverCross @Franki  ...

When my neighbours had Wren (nearly 7 years ago now) someone gave/sold them a beautiful old Silver Cross pram ... it was breathtaking but as everyone here has said the size of a tank! I dont think they could even get it through their door (of the small narrow Victorian Terrace workers cottage that I and they live in)
I certainly never saw them use it ... you need big houses to own one of those (and a beefy Nanny to push it!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
Tosh! We lived in a small (veh small) semi and my mum was a seven stone sylph in four inch heels and a pencil skirt and bolero! Where there's a will, there's a way. She was showing me, only on Thursday, where she walked to with me in my high pram and her trusty German Shepherd keeping guard. It was miiiiiiles and uphill all the way home!  :S

There was no problem getting it into her car...she didn't have one. Shops were localish and if we needed a car (family/dad's) journey it was as Brenda said, baby on the back seat.  :)

I've just looked. It was four miles to her sister's house and she walked that regularly and back home!  :o

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:59:00 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Franki

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
I would love to see a pic of your newly refurbished SilverCross @Franki  ...

Would be happy to do so Iminei but I’m not a subscriber yet, so can’t post photos.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
Welcome  @Franki . Glad to have you here! 

Actually you can post photos, just not directly from your computer. They need to be on a photo hosting site, such as Flickr.  Somewhere here it explains about what to do.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Franki

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 13:23:25 PM »
Welcome  @Franki . Glad to have you here! 

Actually you can post photos, just not directly from your computer. They need to be on a photo hosting site, such as Flickr.  Somewhere here it explains about what to do.

Thanks Renegade Sewist. I tried, but can’t get it to work yet. Followed instructions but  >:)

Franki

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 13:36:07 PM »
Think I can only use the photo hosting site if I sign up to it and I have problems with that because I don’t have a phone to receive code. Doesn’t seem to work if I’m not logged in to it :(

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 13:45:18 PM »
@Franki.  I use Lunapic and below is my tute:

1.   Save your picture to your computer desktop (or somewhere you can find it easily).
2.   Use the Browse folder in Lunapic to find the image you want to upload.
3.   You will see that you have options to crop, scale or rotate.  If the image is large, pick scale and reduce.
4.   APPLY the resultant new size.
5.   Scroll to the bottom for the Save options and click on Imgur.
6.   Copy everything in the Image URL window and use the link to repost the image using the picture icon in reply.

It's free and you don't have to sign up to use it.  I also use Lunapic to manipulate images I find on the net, such as resizing or cropping.

Franki

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 13:52:01 PM »

Thank you UttaRetch. I did try LunaPic first and it worked. Photo appeared in post okay. But just to double check I logged out of TSP and back in again and post was still there but with one big error message from LunaPic saying it had timed out  :\
Bit stuck now. Tried following instructions for Imgur too but that didn’t even post a pic so I removed the posts.

Franki

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 14:03:27 PM »

I am very grateful for your tutorial UttaRetch and am trying again. This time I will leave the post up and see what happens. Thank you. Here goes.

Kenora

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 14:03:53 PM »
A warm welcome @Franki from me too.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath