The Sewing Place

Recycled Thread - Sustainable sewing

classical retro

Recycled Thread - Sustainable sewing
« on: January 24, 2020, 23:44:19 PM »
Is recycled thread the future?
I have too many threads to consider changing at the moment, but this article looks interesting.
Unfortunately there isn't anything about the longevity - washing and wear.
Has anyone used recycled thread?
One thing's for sure, old thread brought from a charity shop is only useful for tacking. 

CR :angel:

UttaRetch

Re: Recycled Thread - Sustainable sewing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:21:08 AM »
I think there is a lot of snobbishness where thread is concerned.  I use 1,000m reels of poly 'sew all' and have even been known to buy fluffy threads from market stalls and miscellaneous notions boxes.  I don't subscribe to tacking or speciality threads.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
I use any old thing...I’m not sewing heirloom stuff.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »
Sure, why not? Even better, why not make all thread from recycled bottles, just not tell us, we don't know any different  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
I have always gotten mine from a wholesaler, so I usually have 10000 yd spools of all poly stuff.  Can't say I am overly worried about my thread, either.

Before I got into sewing for a living, my machine was a 66 Singer treadle who does not like Guttermann thread at all.  Matter of fact, it would prefer never to sew with a plastic spool if it could get away with it, so I started rewinding thread onto wooden ones.

I personally don't care if it is recycled or not.  If it is available, fine. 

My problem is this:
My machines don't like the Guttermann spools, some don't like the thread.
I need more then 100M for any project
I pay one pound more for 10K yards of thread, and would need 2 of the Guttermann
Don't care for brand named thread or not.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 10:43:03 AM »
My machine doesn't like Gutterman thread. I alwa use cotton
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »
Interesting article.  I’d like to see more of this around.  But it’s  not  in the shops where I go. 

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »
I've been very cautious about what thread I use since my first machine - a Singer - would tangle up every type except for Molnlycke. I can't get that now so stick to Gutermann sew-all

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 16:24:24 PM »
Gütermann rPet poly thread has been around for years.  I've had a couple of spools of it and didn't notice any difference between it and the regular Gütermann SewAll.  If the price is the same ....

The debate about good quality/expensive thread v fluffy/cheaper thread will rumble on.  If it suits you, your machine and your project go for the cheaper stuff, but be aware that the common cheapie, Moon, is thicker than Gütermann SewAll 100 which might, or might not be a good thing!

@Kwaaked  Singer 66 machines only have a vertical pin.  Back in the day when all thread came parallel wound horizontal spool pins weren't needed, the reel just rotated as the thread was used,  but most of today's threads are cross wound and designed to come off the end of the spool.  A spool holder with a guide higher than the first thread guide on the machine would probably have made the Gütermann spools more friendly to that machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 20:43:19 PM »
@BrendaP yes, this was mentioned on TreadleOn when I was having issues and I and have this on it.  Even rewinding GM thread or using this...the machine just doesn't like it. 

Gittje

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
We use all sew Gütermann polly thread for the computerised SM, so it's interesting the brand launches this 100% recycled thread.

For the (c)overlocker we use the rather cheap Diamond Spun (cones of 3000 yards) that is sold on worldofsewing.com  We have absolutely no idea if this is a good thread and where it's made.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »
Gütermann recycled thread has exactly the same spec as their regular SewAll - just that it comes in a smaller colour range and only on small spools.

Regular SewAll
SewAll rPET

You can also get the recycled version in the heavier top stitch weight.

PET (polyethylene teraphthalate) is the most widely recycled plastic; it's the stuff that most plastic bottles and a lot of other food and other containers are made from.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.