The Sewing Place

bardot dress

toileandtrouble

bardot dress
« on: January 25, 2020, 20:39:54 PM »
Has anyone made this dress from Sew Simple?  The neck binding seems to be quite a long way short of the neck length.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lizzy777

Re: bardot dress
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 22:50:29 PM »
I don't know the pattern but there appears to be a very good descriptive tutorial here which I think may be of some help to you perhaps?

http://www.gabberdashery.com/tutorial-the-bardot-dress-by-simple-sew/

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »
WOW What a good tut! Even I think I could follow something like that.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:14:17 AM »
The blogger makes no mention of the short binding piece.  I would adapt the piece accordingly.

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
The blogger makes no mention of the short binding piece.  I would adapt the piece accordingly.

I think she does show how to do the binding at the neck?

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
Has anyone made this dress from Sew Simple?  The neck binding seems to be quite a long way short of the neck length.

Looking at the tutorial, have you cut two pieces for the neck binding and joined them together? Just a thought as I don't have the pattern pieces in front of me to be able to view it.Worth checking what you have cut out though?

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
@Lizzy777: I don't think that was a good tutorial.  Vertical pin insertion.  :S

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 23:29:33 PM »
Thank you all for the replies.  Having seen this in construction, I think the designer  gave the main pieces to someone else to add the seam allowances etc.
The seams are to be pressed open and the 'extensions' on the end of the seam allowances then both face the wrong way.
The length of the piece that is given for the neck binding is about 20% shorter than I would expect to cut.  Although the pattern is for a woven, it looks as if it could have drawn out by someone used to using jersey.
The final dress is very 'off the shoulder'.  A tucked insert was added at the top of each sleeve so bra straps wouldn't show.  (If it was my dress, I would add a picture here)  We did  a  bit of fitting at the waist to take out a bit of slack making the back billow out, and tapered in the back seam at the neck  by about 5cm.  Makes pretty summer dress in a light cotton.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »
Twenty percent shorter is not an insignificant problem, especially for the inexperienced.  In reality, many patterns need a degree of adjustment but when something is badly drafted to begin with, it does not bode well.