The Sewing Place

Miniature couture

blackcat001

Miniature couture
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
Found this lovely site with an article about miniature couture. Garments made quarter size, bought to allow stores to produce items from haute couture into the ready-to-wear market. Showing all the details and techniques of haute couture.I would find them fascinating in real life.

https://www.thecuttingclass.com/miniature-couture/

UttaRetch

Re: Miniature couture
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 13:13:07 PM »
Thanks for that.

There is quite a lot of miniature couture on Youtube.  This person makes beautiful couture dolls' clothes.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 13:33:05 PM »
Stunning stuff.  There was an exhibition of Dior miniatures.  More here
 http://www.zsazsabellagio.com/le-petit-theatre-dior/#.Xi2UiMqnzmo

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 13:37:44 PM »
I have quarter-size blocks that I was given when I did a pattern cutting course.  Bear in mind, though that they are a quarter length, so if your neck to waist is 20 cm, these will be 5cm long - they're really diddy.  Beats me how complex couture can be done on something so small!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 13:45:20 PM »
I went to the Dior exhibition and some of the miniatures were on display. 

Miniature version

Full scale.

I really love the coat and am thinking of making a copy, BUT not in red.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 15:01:53 PM »
That section of the exhibition was one of my favourites, the fascination of the miniature!

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

WendyW

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 15:06:46 PM »
I am pretty sure sitting around making couture doll clothes would be at the top of my list of dream jobs!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 00:07:56 AM by WendyW »

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 15:34:14 PM »
That's a really interesting piece, @Ohsewsimple. So much loveliness. I've bookmarked it for a seasonal visit for inspiration but just looking makes my fingers swell!  ><
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 16:16:18 PM »
@Marniesews yes I think I’d  have trouble with my fingers too.  They’re bad enough as is.  But I’d love to be able to produce that sort of work. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 17:09:32 PM »
I knew of these because of my grandmother.

She worked for Neiman Marcus and used to talk about these...had a few when I was a kid (which I had for my dolls, sadly though, I was like 8 and so they were played to death). 

Stanley Marcus was very liberal and was the reason my grandmother because a tailor: he supported quality and workmanship and put her where she was best suited, then supported and sponsored her into the tailor union, which is why she was one of the first men's tailors in the US who was a female. 

The whole point, which of course I can't get there without going off on tangents, is that I do these today.  I grew up with seeing them, playing with them and being encouraged to do them when I got interested in fashion when I was a pre-teen.  Now, I can draft patterns and get the fit, fabric and technique right (and also why I can hand sew as fast as most people sew on a machine).