The Sewing Place

My new treadle machine

Elnnina

My new treadle machine
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
Well at long last have been able to have a closer inspection of this machine, it looks in superb condition, yes it really does, I cannot see any scratches or rubbing of the decals, the chrome is gleaming and the body work is also gleaming.  It does have an electric motor attached to the back with a light on the back as well, but the cable looks slightly dodgy in that some tape has been wound round the part where it plugs into the machine.  The foot control is horrible a huge heavy metal shoe type.  I have yet to try and change the belt over to the treadle.  However it is the treadle part I really want to use.

Anyway I am rather confused, the serial number of EF 758171 says this is a 201K made in 1950.  However there were two photocopies of booklets with this machine one for a 201-2 and the other for a 201K - now are they the same machine, if not what are the differences - you can tell I am new to all of this.

I already had a small Singer booklet produced in 1963 for schools  called 'A Manual of Family Sewing Machines' and this covers many really old machines, how to thread them, how to wind a bobbin,  how to change the stitch length etc.  Then there is a whole section  on all the various feet and attachments and what to do with them.  In addition  I also have an old 201 actual manual but this was for a beige different shape machine altogether.  In the Schools booklet there is a very clear diagram of a Treadle and it names all the parts.  (Yesterday was a very dark and  a particular gloomy day and I really need much better light and more space to be able to see what I am doing with this machine)  The Schools booklet I bought many years ago as a result of being given many old Singer feet and attachments, and this booklet helped me identify and use them on my then old straight stitch machine a Cosson.  I only gave away most of these feet and attachments  may be 20 years ago when I donated  that machine and other items to a charity that sends machines and tools out to East Africa.

So back to the photocopies that were included with the machine, there are pages and pages  33 for the 201-2 and 57 for the 201K.  The manual for the 201-2 machine was originally a small green manual, whereas the manual for the 201K was a much bigger manual.

Right I have tried taking a photos of this machine with the phone and then tried to download to my laptop, somehow I must have pressed the button too hard and have multiple shots of each photo, cannot get to this from where the photos are stored so I have just dragged one of each to the desktop so that I can hopefully attach these to this.  Oh what a steep learning curve I am on.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Elnnina

Re: My new treadle machine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
I now see that the photos haven't attached properly and I am at a loss now as to what to do, maybe my daughter will help me this evening when she comes over for her daily shower and supper - long story but she is having major renovations and building work done to her own house here in my village, no means of having a shower and no means of cooking, so she and her son come over here - what would they be doing without us I wonder.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
There are some details about the different types of 201 machines on the ISMACS website.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-200-299.html

From what I can tell, 201K refers to the class of the machine and where it was made (K for Kilbowie I. Scotland). There are then variations on the number for more specific models - for example, 201-1 is a treadle, 201-2 has a potted motor, 201-3 has a belt motor and 201-4 is a hand crank.

Could the 201K manual be larger because it includes details for treadles, motors and hand cranks whereas the 201-2 manual is specific to one model?

Wychall

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 15:12:37 PM »
As @StitchinTime says, all are 201K with the hyphenated digit refering to it's 'power' type.
I have a pdf copy of both the users manual and the service adjusters manual for the black 201K if you need them.
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 20:54:46 PM »
 First four photos of my machine

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 20:58:27 PM »
Ooooo that's very clean @Elnnina. What a treasure! :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 21:01:35 PM »
Last photo attached

Tim Sr

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 06:00:05 AM »
Awesome looking machine. And how lucky the machine is to have landed in your hands :)
@Elnnina you are going to be very busy for a while!

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
Lovely, a treadle, such lovely machines and yours looks very smart and  so very green.  I wonder if in the near future they will become the in thing.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
Thank you all for your comments, now today is supposed to be a sunny day - we shall see, if it is then I will get the machine into better light to examine it more clearly.  I did not do anything to prepare the machine for the photos, the condition you see is how it arrived which was so unexpected and of course I am delighted.  Now I did not know what a potted motor was and had to go looking on the internet and also at the back of the machine, so again thank you for that information.  As it is in a smallish cupboard I am hoping that once I can get this into daylight that I can get the treadle belt in place and then perhaps have a little go at treadling - oh such a long time since I was able to do that.

There  is a box of feet etc.  and strangely enough in it is a foot that someone else was asking what is was for the other week - an adjustable hemmer, there is also a binder foot, a gatherer, a darning foot with a very small hole, two roll hemmer feet, a quilting foot with its guide, an under braider and its fixing screw,  an edge stitcher and an odd looking bobbin case - the like I have never seen before, plastic bobbins and only one metal bobbin, screwdrivers.  The darning foot I have is nothing like anything  I have seen before but has a spring at the top - so above where it fits onto the machine - in fact all the feet are in excellent condition no sign of rust whatsoever which is good.  Once I am more together today I will try and get these laid out and take another photo and see if I can upload it again.

I already have a couple of rufflers from a long time ago, and one or two other feet that I kept, there is no zipper foot though, but I am sure this can easily be remedied.

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 13:27:29 PM »
All sounds wonderful :)  :vintage:

You should get in some more metal bobbins - the machine was designed to use them, and the plastic ones won't give such a good result, honestly!
TryHelen Howes, she will have them for a 201  :)