The Sewing Place

Looking for Sweater dress patterns

b15erk

Looking for Sweater dress patterns
« on: January 23, 2020, 14:17:45 PM »
I was having a root around here at work, and I found a most beautiful knit fabric lurking in a plastic box.  It must have been there for donkeys years!

I'm thinking about a sweater dress, but the last one I made turned out so enormous that it hasn't been worn.

Anyone made something up that they have been really pleased with?  I think it would have to be unlined too as the fabric is quite heavy.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Franki

Re: Looking for Sweater dress patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 13:16:43 PM »
Wouldn’t most slimline dress patterns work?
I made a maternity dress in a jersey fabric and it looked fine as a regular dress and right up to the end of pregnancy. The only thing wrong with the pattern was I found the armholes too tight.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 13:30:24 PM »
Is it very heavy Jessie? I went to a lot of trouble making a sweater dress before Christmas and then realised there was no way I could wear it as it was so heavy and hot! I wish I'd made a jacket/cardigan instead

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 13:45:30 PM »
@sewingj , you have a point.  The last sweater dress, came up very big, but the reason I haven't rushed to alter it, is that it is extremely heavy.

I will have to double check the fabric...

Thank you.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Clareew

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 14:25:47 PM »
I can thoroughly reccommend the Paprika Patterns Jasper dress

https://www.paprikapatterns.com/shop/jasper-sweater/

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 16:13:42 PM »
Thank you @Clareew I haven't seen Paprika patterns before and I've at last found the cardigan / coat pattern that has been eluding me (the Opal cardigan)  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Clareew

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 16:50:59 PM »
@Ploshkin, glad to be of help.  I can also recommend Sinclair Patterns Harper cardigan which is a free pattern,

https://sinclairpatterns.com/product/harper-classic-knit-cardigan-and-duster-for-women-pdf-sewing-pattern/

classical retro

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 20:43:16 PM »
I haven't made this but many people in the blogosphere rate this pattern.  It's available as download or paper pattern.
I made the Carnaby, and lengthened it. An easy make. I don't think the Southbank would be any more difficult.

CR :angel:

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 16:55:51 PM »
Ooo, so much loveliness! Paprika and the Nina thingumy ones. Thank you clever people.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 11:23:05 AM »
I can vouch for @Clareew 's paprika dress, having seen it for real, and it's a smashing dress.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
Thank you girls!  I'll be having a closer look at these later, first I have to make sure the knit fabric won't be too warm...

Jessie