The Sewing Place

PDF paper

Catllar

PDF paper
« on: January 26, 2020, 16:38:07 PM »
Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place Admin!  Whilst I like PDF patterns for the instant gratification sometimes I wonder. This pattern  has 63 pages and they all need trimming one side and one edge. Brains here decided to try and assemble it in my sewing room, then got very annoyed when I couldn't. Mr C came to aid and suggested the floor in the lounge might be better. I had thrown the sheets in the air in a fit of temper and he carefully re-sorted them and laid em all out for me.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Acorn

Re: PDF paper
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 16:58:38 PM »
PDF patterns vary immensely.  Quite a lot of them allow you to assemble parts of the pattern rather than having to do the whole lot at once.  I generally try to do this even when the designer hasn't made it as easy as possible, often assembling part, then cutting out the whole pieces and carrying on assembling from what is left. 

It also seems to me that more and more are managing to be trimless - so the pages overlap without having to cut anything off.  My more recent Style Arc patterns haven't needed trimming, although I've a vague feeling that some of the older ones did need trimming.

I think I'll move this to 'Pattern Discussion'.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 17:09:39 PM »
Hi,
Francesca did a really good instruction with pictures showing an efficient way of taping pdf's.
Its worth a look if you check her posting history and can find it.
Annie

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 17:57:35 PM »
I use Love Notions Patterns and they are trimless and really easy. This one is a Spanish one. It got in a muddle because I lost my temper with it, I guess.  I'll go and see if I can find Francesca's post.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 18:44:46 PM »
I don't trim and stick.  I use a large sheet of tracing paper (Burda pattern paper) and start from the top left tracing the pattern lines and registration marks for each A4 sheet one at a time - I line each sheet up with the registration marks of the previous one.  Before I start I use a highlighter to mark the line for the size I want and the pattern pieces I need so it's easy to trace.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 20:18:24 PM »
I buy a lot of Jalie patterns in pdf format and lately have started sending them for printing A0 because I find them difficult to fold and store with all that sticky tape. As I trace custom sizes from my master pattern it's worth the cost.
Was Sewnanny

ClareInStitches

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 15:10:33 PM »
I have to confess to being rather disappointed with the tissue-like paper used by Patternsy. I recently used them; good, swift service and a perfectly useable pattern, but the UK company which I previously ordered form used really strong, good quality paper. That's probably why they went out of business - too good!  -<

Clare

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 15:24:28 PM »
To print on a pc for me would be a ball aching job and I would probably lose my rag coupled with cats seeking revenge when I stuck  them together.  I started to use printyourpattern.com from the start, fast delivery and decent paper, around 90gms, maybe thicker.  As recommended by Francesca and I would highly recommend them.

I have managed to cut the pdfs down with some software I have, which is useful when different bust sizes are provided, so I get just what I want.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 15:55:39 PM »
I use netprinter, as I can't stand printing out and sticking together endless A4 sheets. They're very good.
https://www.netprinter.co.uk

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 16:37:34 PM »
The last time I ordered from TheFoldLine I forked out in getting it printed with them, and the paper was great. Plus they sent an envelope to keep the finished pattern pieces in which was really strong and sturdy.

I'm not sure if I'll do it again because it was kind of pricey, but I just thought I'd mention it here.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 16:55:39 PM »
Patternsy will print layers if you ask them. I like that but agree about their tissue paper. Using a copyshop does make patterns a bit expensive, though inkjet ink and paper aren't exactly free.

63 pages though @Catllar - ouch!

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 17:01:31 PM »
I like the idea of printshop but here by the time I've driven the 140kms round trip, and then waited the 10 working days to get it done, driven 140 kms again to collect it ...... you see my problem?

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 17:19:12 PM »
@Catllar I think most of the online copyshops will post to mainland Europe - postage should be approx the same as to me in Ireland. You just upload the A0 pattern (and pay) et voilà.

JudyN

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 18:20:32 PM »
I'd wondered how pdf patterns worked. They hadn't invented pdfs last time I used a pattern!