The Sewing Place

Buttonholes!

JudyN

Buttonholes!
« on: January 27, 2020, 17:47:59 PM »
I've had my first go at making a buttonhole on my Juki. The instructions weren't that detailed so I followed them in combination with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaeoKjeTL3I The machine's not identical, but is close enough.

The problem is that the machine isn't moving the fabric as it stitches, so I just end up with a big snarl-up in one place. I've had a few goes, but nothing seems to work. If I take the buttonhole foot off and replace the standard foot, it works just fine (on a straight stitch, not buttonhole setting).

Could anyone make an educated guess about what I'm doing wrong, please?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Buttonholes!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 18:48:34 PM »
I assume it’s the same buttonhole foot as this video?  Don’t for e the foot and make sure the lever is brought down at the back. If it’s working on straight stitch then the feed dogs are up so it's not that. 
Have you put a button in the back?

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 19:02:24 PM »
I`m by no means an expert and my machine isn`t so sophisticated but when I was having problems with buttonholes "stalling" in one spot (loads of stitches but not moving forwards) I was advised to use an iron-on stabiliser on the back of the fabric you are making the buttonhole in.  I`ve found it makes a big difference especially if your fabric is a bit floppy

https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/needlework/stabilizers/h841-hemline-fusible-iron-on-fabric-stabiliser?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsbrxBRDpARIsAAnnz_PEaZM_wqS0HQEr6LoEtM_FevZIE1Jk9kOdiVqL-ZDWAyd6BRHza70aAvmFEALw_wcB

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 19:41:06 PM »
@JudyN  I think you need a humper jumper to keep the foot level, I remember posting about this problem last year. A piece of cardboard under the back of the foot will do. Search for humper jumper to find the post/thread. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 19:43:29 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

JudyN

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 20:35:13 PM »
Thank you kind peeps :D

There wasn't a button in situ when I tried it, as I'm intending to make an opening in a waistband for a drawstring, but I'd adjusted the slider to the right spacing. I assumed that would work, but I can try again tomorrow with a button in situ in case I'm wrong.

The fabric I'm testing it on is a bit of old duvet cover so isn't that flimsy, but I can experiment on something thicker. Failing that, I'll investigate humper jumpers.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 21:07:18 PM »
My Brother has a similar buttonhole foot.  I seldom get snarl-ups but I would advise the following:

* Don't use the foot pedal.  Disconnect it and use the start-stop button and let the machine do it itself
* Adjust stitch length (not width) as the optimal density of stitches varies with weight of fabric
* Put your hands flat either side of the presser foot and gently and fairly passively shepherd the fabric under the foot.  In other words, ensure it moves like it ought to, but keep an eye on where the machine is in the cycle - you don't want to be trying to go forward when it wants to reverse direction
* Keep a button in the gauge.  If the button you intend to use is not almost flat, wrap and pin a non-stretch tape/ribbon around it to determine the actual buttonhole size you will need and find a button that is very flat and that passes through the loop.  Use that in the gauge.
* Do test buttonholes on scraps of fabric with the same number of layers and interfacing as the final garment and don't move onto the garment until you're completely happy with the result
* Always start at the bottom of the garment and work up - ropey buttonholes are much less noticeable at the hem or waist than they are at bust or neck!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 21:20:00 PM »
If you’ve moved the slider that’s the same thing.  Always use double fabric.  Forgot to mention that.

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 02:38:25 AM »
The reason that the fabric did not move with a stitch pile up as a result - it's because the long buttonhole foot has to stay level throughout the process.  It must be level front to back and c side to side. The slightest bump or tipping will cause a problem.
See post no. 8 on this thread - https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,7462.msg121336.html#msg121336
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:55:40 AM by Morgan »

JudyN

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
Thanks all - I'm coming to the conclusion that this sewing malarkey is more like alchemy than fabric engineering!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:48:05 AM »
I think if I remember correctly, Morgan (?), did a thread about buttonholes and their problems and fixes.  I will have a look to see if I can find the thread.

Of course I may have dreamt it...

Jessie

eta, just seen that Morgan has posted...  :|
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

JudyN

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
I've tried leaving a button in situ, using a thicker/stiffer fabric - a non-lumpy bit of the collar of an old jacket - and trying to gently guide the fabric, but no joy. I'll move on to the other suggestions, but I had to deal with a delivery of 35kg of raw dog meat this morning and my dodgy shoulders are screaming 'No more!!' I also ran out of thread, and just rethreading it can make them complain when they're in this mood.

Still, it's an excuse to go to the lovely haberdashery unit at one of our favourite dog walking places this weekend and see if they have a humper bumper: https://www.pamphilldairy.co.uk/ 'Humper bumper' still makes me laugh :D

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
I suspect I'm not the only person who chose a sewing machine because it had an automatic buttonhole under the impression that you just bunged a bit of fabric under the foot and pressed a knob and that was it. If only!

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »
The manual buttonhole on my Husqvarna is far, far easier to use than the automatic one!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

JudyN

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 12:36:03 PM »
'Humper bumper' still makes me laugh :D

D'oh, 'humper jumper', not 'humper bumper'!  :| Still funny though ;)

@sewingj , the instruction book says that the buttonhole function is reliable. Presumably in the same way that the British weather is reliable.

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
May I make a suggestion here, I gather this machine is new to you, so is it brand new i.e. bought from a dealer?  If so then why not go back to the dealer and ask for a demonstration, and if you do go back to the dealer take your machine with you, and then get them to demonstrate how to do a buttonhole  on your machine, then you have a go whilst there.  There is always the chance that something is not quite right with the machine.

I d hope you get this sorted and soon.