The Sewing Place

Madam Sew presser foot set

Daviesmhoney

Madam Sew presser foot set
« on: January 28, 2020, 18:11:11 PM »
Hi, has anyone tried these?  I only have basic presser feet with my Janome DM1018, I would really like to try some appliqué and free motion embroidery, but with limited funds available.

Acorn

Re: Madam Sew presser foot set
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 18:51:31 PM »
Here's a link, as Daviesmhoney can't yet post links.

Welcome to TSP!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 22:05:40 PM »
My experience is that generic presser feet don't fit my Janome DXL603. By that I mean they will snap on /screw in but the needle hole is wrong.  After trying a few different feet (because they were cheaper and said 'will fit Janome') like a Teflon foot and an adjustable zipper foot, I threw in the towel and ever since I've forked out for genuine Janome feet. I believe others here have found the same.

Unless someone here with a Janome like yours has used this set and is happy I wouldn't chance it myself.

Daviesmhoney

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 22:34:48 PM »
My experience is that generic presser feet don't fit my Janome DXL603. By that I mean they will snap on /screw in but the needle hole is wrong.  After trying a few different feet (because they were cheaper and said 'will fit Janome') like a Teflon foot and an adjustable zipper foot, I threw in the towel and ever since I've forked out for genuine Janome feet. I believe others here have found the same.

Unless someone here with a Janome like yours has used this set and is happy I wouldn't chance it myself.

Thank you, this is what concerns me, so will definitely have to give it more thought

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:30:38 AM »
I never buy sets of anything because like baking tins, spanners, screwdrivers, clothes you take on holiday.... you use the same two or three all the time and the others not at all.

Personally I buy a good quality item to use and then save up for the next good quality thing I need. That way I have quality stuff and only what I use.

Welcome to TSP.  0_0 Have a cuppa.  :drink: :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »
I haven't used Madam Sew, but I have bought various sewing machine feet from China.

They were OK on my Pfaff, but the Singer didn't like them much, and they kept hitting the needle plate.

Also, the ones I bought had to be used with an adapter, which is why I don't use them more.  In order to use the adapter, you have to remove the shank.  Too much of a Pfaff for me.

Far easier to buy the feet you need as and when you need them.  Also, it may be of interest to know that Helen Howes sells lots of SM feet on her website, and if you have an older machine, you may find what you need on there.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 13:05:29 PM »
According to this list @Daviesmhoney your machine takes category A Janome feet. I see GUR has quite a few including an applique foot and a free motion foot at £16 each. As @wrenkins says you really use a few feet anyway, so maybe just buy the ones you need now. Expensive hobby sewing :o

Daviesmhoney

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 19:46:25 PM »
Thank you all for your help, I think I will ask for the original Janome feet for my birthday.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 13:15:27 PM »
I have done applique with a normal foot.

The health and safety police will shudder, but when I was at school we did free machine embroidery with no foot at all!
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Rhapso

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 20:33:44 PM »
I have a set, it's like Christmas morning. I  have adapters for all my machines so they are universal snap ons. The cut out areas in the box for the individual pieces are well shaped and supportive.  The kit comes with a CD about usage and even special instructions on how to open the box  0_0

I would recommend it, because with the exception of a walking foot it has most presser feet you could want, I won't say everything because that could of course be wrong!

If you want to go barefoot and use no presser foot can I suggest you reinforce your fabric with a suitable stabiliser so it doesn't all go down through the needle plate?