The Sewing Place

It’s all about shirts contest - 01.02. - 29.02.2020

Fabric Lover

Re: It’s all about shirts contest - 01.02. - 29.02.2020
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »
This was a surprise in this pattern - the yoke was only a single layer. As I’ve previously made the Closet Case Kalle shirt here
initially as a shirt dress then shortened to make a shirt, with a double layer yoke, I think this is a much nicer finish and possibly more comfortable to wear, I decided to do the same again. Didn’t use the burrito method again though like I did on the Kalle, but just turned under the seam allowances and stitched in by hand.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
OK, here's my entry.  It's Vogue 1387 by Rebecca Taylor.  I just loved the look of style B, and thought I'd found the perfect fabric in the stash.  It's a poly cotton (I think), but the only description on the lable, said 'burnout'.

It should have been a fairly straightforward sew, but as usual, I made a meal of it.

1. The front band/collar stand intersection caused me trouble, as the seams needed to lay in a particular way to go under the front band, and the collar stand.  It took quite a bit of manipulation and hand sewing to finish it neatly.

2. The gathering at the back.  I knew right away that I didn't want this, so I pleated it, and I like it far better.  If I did it again, I would take some fullness out before pleating though - there's a lot of fabric there.  I also did a fabric loop to finish off, and I do like how it's turned out.

3. Sleeve placket drove me distracted, and the more I thought about it, the more I was sure I was going to get it wrong - although I've done them many times with no problems.  They turned out OK, trouble is, I don't think they suit the shirt, and if I did it again, I wouldn't do that style.

Finally, I ordered white ring snaps, but even after what I thought was careful ordering, they were smaller than the tool I use for fixing.  So I used the metal ones, and not sure they work.  I think the top snap is too high, and seems to make the bust pull a bit.

I have lovely fabric lined up to make a second one, but not really sure I want the hassle.

Jessie
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 23:15:21 PM by Manuela »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2020, 14:44:36 PM »
It's lovely, Jessie.

Ann

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
Your shirt is beautiful @b15erk. Once you do the tweaks on the pattern it looks like you'll have a great TNT blouse pattern.

I also love your shirt @SewRuthieSews. The fabric is perfect for the choir social. I'm sure it was a hit when you wore it.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Fabric Lover

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 16:31:36 PM »
Really beautiful shirt @b15erk well made and lovely fabric. A good match!!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2020, 16:41:24 PM »
Fabric Lover’s Entry No 1

I’ve finished my shirt too, initially my second choice fabric as I think it’s a bit drab on me which is why I have it on with a yellow camisole underneath. I love how it feels though and has a truly beautiful drape. It’s Simplicity 8830 https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/94086

I shortened it quite a lot about 9 cms but I think maybe I wish I’d left the front a tad longer. For the next one I’ll go one size smaller but also longer at the front. I also cut out the pocket flaps and epaulets but as the fabric is so busy I decided to leave them off this time.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:31:28 AM by Fabric Lover »

Starryfish

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2020, 17:39:42 PM »
Starryfish's
first shirt is finished.
It is Ottobre 18-5-16. I made it pretty much as the instructions say, except I added an inner yoke using the burrito method. I didn't put pockets on it, as I didn't have enough fabric to match them.The pattern repeat is big on this fabric, and I only bought 1.5m. As I managed to get the fronts to match exactly I didn't want to spoil the look.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pleased with how the cuffs sit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:41:52 AM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2020, 18:26:15 PM »
Love your shirt @Starryfish i think I recognise the fabric too. I very nearly ordered some of the last year, not sure why I didn’t now, it looks lovely! >:)

Manuela

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 23:47:26 PM »
Dear all,
It would help me a lot if you could insert your pictures in the text. I am usually able to do that, but more often than not there is a system glitch that doesn’t allow me to. Today was one of those days. I just spent a long time editing two entry post, so that the pictures appear in the voting thread - sorry @Fabric Lover  I didn’t have the time to download and rotate your pictures as well.

If you don’t know how to insert your pictures, below is the attachment menu after you uploaded them. The only thing you need to do after uploading is to click the ‘insert attachment’ link (the blue bit) and it’s done.
It also helps me if you’d follow the template and have your name in the first line of your entry post (with the number of the entry if you have more than one)

Thank you for your understanding.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 00:09:00 AM by Manuela »

indigotiger

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2020, 00:42:18 AM »
So my next project is the grey/black flannel shirt. There is just enough fabric to eke out most of the pattern pieces, if I cut the undercollar, inner cuffs, inner yoke, and the under placket from a complimentary fabric. Fortunately I found some suitable remnants of quilting cotton fabric, black with grey polkadots (used for a former everyday dress). I'm looking forward to the challenge of learning how to make the tower placket.
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Fabric Lover

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2020, 09:26:06 AM »
Sorry @Manuela i will try to do that!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »
Second attempt to get it right!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:52:23 AM by Fabric Lover »

indigotiger

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2020, 03:48:07 AM »
The black/grey gingham flannel shirt is completed, and my guesstimate for how long to make the sleeves turned out to be just right. I will be making a note of that on the pattern for future reference, and foresee some additional shirts (as opposed to blouses) in my future sewing at some point...
The collar and neckline of the shirt, showing two different sides of the polkadot fabric (yoke facing, and bias binding along collar shirt seam), bias and straight-of-grain use of the gingham flannel.
The successful tower placket, both closed (above), and open (below)...again showing how I used the polkadot fabric to line the cuff and also to create the inner placket.
I'll have another photo or two of how the shirt looks when I am wearing it soon....

indigotiger

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2020, 00:11:28 AM »
Indigotiger's entry

what I made: Black/grey gingham flannel shirt

pattern used: My TNT personal bias front bodice pattern

about the project: I wanted to make a warm cotton flannel winter shirt, using a length of heavy work-weight gingham flannel. My TNT pattern has 3/4 length sleeves and a cuff binding, but here I wanted shirt length sleeves, with real buttoned cuffs and a traditional tower placket. both of which would require me to do some additional drafting and a number of additional steps in construction.

When I tried laying out the pattern pieces, it was obvious that there was not quite enough of the flannel, so I had to find some other fabric to use as an accent. I had a piece of black/grey polkadot quilt cotton which I decided to use for the inner cuffs and inner placket, the yoke lining, the undercollar, and the binding for the collar seam. I am very pleased with how the accent fabric adds a subtle embellishment to the shirt. This was my very first time making a tower placket; I used this excellent tutorial from Pam Erny, and was delighted at how it turned out. I will definitely make some more cuffed shirts in the future!
This is my flannel shirt, as worn with my black corduroy pinafore and a pair of grey knit loose leggings
The collar and neckline of the shirt, showing two different sides of the polkadot fabric (yoke facing, and bias binding along collar shirt seam), bias and straight-of-grain use of the gingham flannel.
The successful tower placket, both closed (above), and open (below)...again showing how I used the polkadot fabric to line the cuff and also to create the inner placket.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 00:50:16 AM by indigotiger »

Elnnina

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 10:38:58 AM »
What a lovely shirt, the two fabrics go so well together and you are so neat.  The placket is lovely too.  You have certainly got me thinking about using the bias as a front of a shirt - as I too often need extra room in that department.