The Sewing Place

Vogue V1387

b15erk

Vogue V1387
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
I picked this out last night as I couldn't make a decision on what to make, and this was already traced out, and I'd even toiled it. I cut out view B without further thought.

I should have realised then, that there was a reason it didn't proceed further.  :S

Meet my Nemesis, tiny pleats, on an angle.  :S

I abandoned the project at 9.30 last night, it was too late to continue the battle, but I read the instructions further, and I'm not thrilled.

No burrito method here for the yoke, it's all binding and other complicated things... :(

Anyone made this and have any advice?  I'm thinking I may have to cut another toile, as I can't find the first one.  :(

Heeeelp!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

Re: Vogue V1387
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
There are 25 reviews of this on Pattern Review - some of those might be helpful Jessie.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »
When I made this for DD, I'll admit that I replaced the pleats with gathers  :devil: Tiny pleats were going to look like gathers anyway from any distance ( and it's gathered across the back).
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »
Nice shirt pattern, though. One of the PR reviewers used the sandwich method to attach the yoke, so perhaps there's  a way round that.
Good luck!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
Just read some of the reviews - why do I have to be told this?  I should know by now - always look at PR...

Not very encouraging really, I'll just have to blast on through it.  Maybe make a toile...  I really have no memory of making the last one...

It wouldn't matter if I hadn't used a lovely piece of fabric I've had in the stash for donkeys years.  It's a lovely burnout lawn that I've been saving for a special project... :'(

Still, if this goes all pear shaped there's enough left for a vest type top.  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 13:19:23 PM »
I've got this pattern and not a lot of will to make it up :\ DD4 made it last year and it was very billowy on the back.  She found the pleats to be a nightmare and ended up gathering instead.  She ended up binning it :(

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 13:34:23 PM »
Nice pattern and I agree that it would be best just to do gathers.

All this talk of sandwiches and burritos is making me hungry!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 14:54:57 PM »
I've just remembered why the project stalled last year, I started cutting it out, and realised I didn't have enough fabric...

Can't even remember if I binned it or not - I would usually use the fabric for something else.

I've done some rooting around, and although this is a lovely top, it's not without difficulty.  There is a definite problem with the pleats, which show on the Vogue picture going towards the sleeve, but the pattern points the pleats to the CF.  I wondered why it wasn't working for me... :S  I will also be putting a large inverted pleat at the back like I did with the McCalls shirtdress, as I'm not fond of gathers - I'd look like a ship in sail!

I will continue with it because it is cut out in my lovely fabric, but I think I will cut another upper body to try out on - especially the yoke front with the binding.  :S

Jessie

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
I made both versions of this some years back and they are both very nice.

The front pleats are incorrectly marked on the pattern.  They point inwards, but if you fold the pattern you will see that they don't line up and should, in fact, point outwards to form the pleats as shown in the picture.  The pleats are a little fiddly, but careful marking and spray starch are your friends here, along with some patience.  The latter is always in short supply! 

The back is full - as I recall, I took some of this out as I don't like too much fullness there.

The binding bit is the same as the front pleats - spray starch and patience.

My biggest dislike with the pattern is the combination of snaps and delicate fabric.  I binned the one I made in the end as the snaps ripped out of the georgette on the button band and I had no way of re-making it for buttonholes.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 11:25:25 AM »
@dolcevita , thank you so much for your input.  I've read a lot on-line, and most agree that view B is a beautiful blouse, but a difficult make, View A doesn't seem to get very good reviews.

Now that I've figured to direction of the pleats, I think they will go together rather better.

I've been using metal snaps lately instead of buttons, and I've been really happy with them, but I take the point, the fabric is a lot finer than the usual shirts I make, so I'll reinforce them well.

The fullness at the back I will check against the McCalls shirtdress I've just finished - that was very full as well, but behaved better when I did an inverted pleat.

Good to have you posting again DV!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »
Well, this was all going swimmingly - and then my iron conked out!  Just stopped working...  All the lights come on, but nothing happens.

So, as we were going out for an eye test, I decided to pick a cheapie up in B&M.  £15 seemed reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for.  It's already scorched the ironing board cover because I keep forgetting to stand it on end.  :S

Still I managed to finish the fronts, attach the yokes at the back, and start the hem.  I've also done the pleats on the sleeves.  It's not be as difficult as I expected from the instructions, but I'm a bit disappointed with the back yoke.

I'm using fine burnout fabric, and I didn't notice so much on the front, but on the back, it's quite obvious that the burnout pattern shows through.  Maybe I should have used a plain fabric for the yoke facings?  The thing is, if I change the back, I'll feel that I have to change the front yokes too...

I think I'm just going to leave well alone, and carry on.  For some reason this pattern intimidated me - I think after reading the pattern reviews!  I seem to work better in happy ignorance...

Hopefully I'll get a bit further tonight.

Jessie

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 20:10:08 PM »
Keep going, Jessie, don't let that pesky pattern get the better of you!

I don't think that the pattern is complicated so much as fiddly but you're over the trickiest bit now.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »
@dolcevita , you're right, but they seem to make a simple task more difficult with their vague instructions.  I'd be interested to know how you went on with the other view - A I think.  There was a lot of moaning on PR about gaping and bad design at the front.

Saying that, I'm loving how this one is shaping up, and really glad I went with the pleat at the back, rather than gathers. Collar and placket tonight I think, then on to the sleeves.

I'm going to go with snaps again I think as I've been really pleased with how they look.  I'm also not too sure how this fabric will behave on the buttonholer.  It has a tendency for the needle to push the fabric down, rather than go through at times, even though I'm using a really fine needle - I think it's the nature of the burnout fabric.

I should have really done a toile for this, and I'm lucky not to have had anything major go wrong.  I've already picked out a lovely piece of baby blue fabric out for the next one.

Jessie

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
I love the look of this pattern, View B specifically. Love the minimalist collar and the ability to rotate the bust dart I always require into the front yoke. I would have so much fabric there that I would have to use a lightweight, very drapey sort of fabric.

dolcevita

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 20:18:01 PM »
Jessie - I don't remember too many of the details of the other version of the pattern, other than there was some detail that was a PITA to sew; I seem to recall hand sewing it was the easiest option, which is daft for such a seemingly simple top.  I didn't wear it a great deal and I think it was only a year before it headed off to the great wardrobe in the sky.