The Sewing Place

Vogue V1387

b15erk

Re: Vogue V1387
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
@dolcevita , thank you.  I've decided against view A as I haven't seen enough 'positives' to really want to make it.

I seem to be making a meal of view B too.  :S  I thought I was being dead smart doing a clean finish to the yoke by pulling the shoulder seams out, and stitching along the seam, and I was delighted with the lovely finish - until I came to put the collar and placket on...

The yoke facing is hand sewn for a reason - because the placket needs to go under it, but the pattern doesn't make the order of work very clear.  I have it straight in my mind now - I think, but having just made a hash of the plackets while waiting for the plasterer, I'll have to wait until later to find out.

I've brought my second fabric in to work with me, and I'll try to cut it out this afternoon.  It's a lovely, drapey, baby blue, and I can't think of a better project for it.  So, lets hope I manage to iron out the kinks in the pattern before I come to make it up.

I knew there was a reason I should have done a toile...  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
Front plackets are on, and I've figured out how to get them nice and tight at the top.  What I haven't figured out is how to finish it off neatly, so I left it over the weekend, and did a repair job on Lilya's Mary Poppins Bag, which needed a handle fixing.  Turned into a full re-fit...

I will definitely return to the shirt this week.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »
This pattern has made life soooo difficult!

Now it's the turn of the shirt plackets to annoy me.  I have put loads of shirt sleeve plackets in, but this one is taxing my brain.  I usually do a two piece placket, but Vogue want me to do a one piece, no problem.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the application of the placket, that's been straightforward.  It's the placement.  My brain feels tortured trying to figure it out.

I have done four practise pieces.  The first went in nicely, but ended up on the wrong side of the fabric. :( :|  Tried a second one, and was pleased that it turned out really well.  Before doing the 'proper' plackets, I decided a further practise would be useful, and cut a right and left placket.  These both went in nicely, but I just can't get my head round how to place it on the shirt.  Call me thick, and I know the short side of the pocket is placed on the narrower side of the shirt sleeve, but I'm not convinced in my head that it's going to turn out right... :S

I know I'm over thinking this, but I don't want to mess this up, as I really like this shirt.

Going away to polish the brain cell... (or scream)

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 16:44:36 PM »
@b15erk I don’t know if this will help.  Lots of close up photos. 
https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2018/07/05/guide-sewing-professional-sleeve-plackets

Funnily enough shirt placket always tie me in knots too.  Good job I don’t make many shirts.   :)

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:09 AM »
Thank you @Ohsewsimple , it's much appreciated.  I just don't know what went on in my head yesterday, I was driving myself nuts trying to figure it out.  I didn't do any sewing last night as I didn't feel so good, but hopefully I'll have the pesky thing finished by the weekend.

I decided against sew on snaps which the pattern calls for, and instead I'm going for metal snaps.  I've ordered some with a white ring on show, instead of just metal.  I've used these on a couple of shirts I made last summer, and I think they look good.  They'll be better on this shirt as the fabric is quite sheer.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
Well, the pesky thing is finished, and I really don't know that I like it that much.

Problem areas: the placket/collar stand intersection, the back pleating, silly I know, but the sleeve placket.

The placket/collar stand intersection, I finished by hand, before topstitching, and it's turned out OK, but I would change the work order before doing another version.

The back pleating is always a problem to me, so I pleated it, and it's by far the nicest thing about this shirt, although I would take out some fullness if I did it again.  I also added the little hanging loop.

Oh dear, the sleeve placket!!  I  think I was having some kind of senior moment, but I could not get it straight in my head, and did 4 practises before committing myself!  Just a note, if I did another version of this shirt, I would not do the sleeve this way.  They don't look right, and I may yet change them.

Finally, the snaps.  I ordered, and received the white snaps, but despite being careful, they were slightly smaller than the tool I had to fit them.  So, I used the silver ones, and really not sure they work.  I also fitted at least 4 the wrong way round, and I think the top snap is too high, and pulls the bust.

Now it is going in the shirt competition - only because it's finished in time, but I don't think it's the best shirt I've ever made.

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »
I think it's lovely  :loveit: Such pretty fabric.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
Me too! Wear it with pride.

SkoutSews

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »
I agree with @wrenkins . The back looks great too, the back pleat looks lovely and neat to me. Perhaps the difficulties with the make are prejudicing your opinion a bit? That happens to me a lot  :S

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
I think it can be very hard to like something that's given you a lot of grief - certainly straight away.  Like the others I think it's lovely.  Maybe you need to put it away for a few weeks and then pretend that someone else made it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
It looks lovely Jessie, well done on a good job. You won't like it just yet, put it away until a warm sunny day.

I once made a jacket which just looked awful on me and have never worn it. The disappointment was of epic proportions  :'(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
i think  it looks great Jessie.  But I can see there would be a problem with that placket/stand intersection. 

Ellabella

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 11:51:06 AM »
I think it looks lovely, very fresh and summery.

We are always hypercritical of our own work and only notice the flaws, other people just see a beautiful garment.

dolcevita

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 15:43:42 PM »
It's lovely, Jessie.  Don't beat yourself up over it, believe what everyone is saying - it's a terrific blouse.