The Sewing Place

TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics

Acorn

Re: TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 14:16:19 PM »
Hellllpppp!

I could really use some ideas about my fabrics.  I'm being so indecisive that I don't think I'm ever going to get started.

This is what I have:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

As always, the colours are not quite as shown.  The one at the back is more vibrant, and the pink (for the centre bits) is pinker.

I think I'm happy with the two groups of four, but do you think the background will work with them?  Is it a bit too bossy? 

Any other thoughts would also be very welcome!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 14:20:47 PM »
Don't look at me. I haven't even started April because I need to choose a background. Not happening I'm afraid.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 17:00:01 PM »
You are thinking of the large dark turquoise as the BG fabric right ?

Personally I think its a bit strong and would go the 2nd down in the turquoise pile ... lighter but not lightest ...

But thats my opinion only!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 17:09:43 PM »
The problem there is that I only have one FQ of that fabric.  I might be able to find something similar though.

So would you then have the background one and the other three turquoises as one set of colours?

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 17:49:23 PM »
I think the background colour is strong
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 18:04:55 PM »
Here's the first pictures of the FQs I originally thought were possibles (ignore the background - I think I'll be replacing it).  They all look a little more washed out than they are in the photo.

Of course I do have many, many other options - which might be why I'm having so much trouble
choosing.  Maybe I'll go for rainbow colours.  Or pastels.  Or something else.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 18:08:16 PM by Acorn »

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 19:27:45 PM »
What about the top green-on-cream for background - if you have enough - and a selection of the bolder blue-greens and green-blues for the geese.

One lot of my potential Bg fabrics arrived yesterday, the other lot are supposedly on the way. Then I shall have to decide  :o
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 19:49:24 PM »
My problem is that there is no background in my first two blocks so I keep thinking it looks odd. I'll just get on. Nobody said it had to be lovely.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 19:49:50 PM »
@Acorn Are you absolutely wedded to the idea of those batiks? Looking at them, while individually they're lovely, together they're might be a bit samey and end up looking like a smudge. If you squint at them, they will blend. Try taking a few out so that there is a definite step between light, medium and dark, and try a stronger pink, red or orange as accent - you only need a bit just to fire up the rest.

Choosing colours for a quilt is often difficult as once you set your mind on something it can be hard to see past it - but often you end up eliminating the colour you were sure was essential.... Keep at it, you'll find it in the end.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 20:25:18 PM »
The BG fabric will also (but not necessarily) be the sashing strips ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 20:33:45 PM »
@Deafoldbat Do you think these sets of FQs are too similar?

Maybe if I substituted the palest blue with something that was more blue/cream, and had a cream blender (or plain) as the background...?

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 22:19:11 PM »
Haven't you got a contrast colour Accers? To give a pop of brightness?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 22:24:24 PM »
Yes - probably the pink from the first picture - it's a proper pink and not as pale as it looks.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 19:26:43 PM »
@Acorn Although Iminei says the background and sashing strips will be the same, you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to. :devil:
You could use that turquoise as the block background and have a light sashing, or....
If you arrange those fabrics in one lot, dark to light do they look better or worse? As a general rule, your darkest should be really quite dark, and the lightest fairly light. mix them together and see how they look then.
Personally, atm, I would be inclined to remove the pale spot from the green pile; all the rest are quite random patterns and the spot on its own might stick out like a sore thumb. Possibly take out the top one on the blue pile and have the second down green as the lightest. The turq background reads plain from a distance so look at how the others stand up to it - they need to show up rather than blend. Try adding (if you have any) something in the gold to red-orange range and see if that helps; blue and green are adjacent on the colour wheel, red is opposite green, orange is opposite blue. You probably wouldn't need much, just a dash to sharpen up the rest. A quiet evening with squared paper and coloured pencils, trying out ideas can be useful. Most blocks depend on placement of value - light or dark - to give the design. You could even use all sorts of things and a consistent background would tie them all together.

We all have opinions and preferences, but it's yours that matter - in the end it's your quilt and you do what you like. It will be fine. ;)

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 20:28:53 PM »
Thank you - I will have a look and see whether I have any more random batik-y patterns to bring the numbers of each set of colours up to 4, and try jumbling them up as well.

I usually like to take photographs to get a more objective idea of how things look, but my new phone camera seems to drain the colours more than the old one did.  I'll have to try with a proper camera I think.