The Sewing Place

TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics

Iminei

Re: TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
Excellent advice from @Deafoldbat  who most certainly hides her light ........
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
I have chosen!  I have washed and ironed the fabrics (because of colour run and creases) and I am now going to stop overthinking it, and get on with it!!

The background is going to be cream, and I found a deep-ish pink/red/purple batik for the centres.

Thank you so much for all your help.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Arloony

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 14:57:16 PM »
@Acorn  - Have you got pictures of your quilt so far? Or perhaps you have the finished product to show us?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 15:04:15 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 15:08:25 PM »
@Arloony  .... BOM HOF

Each months finished blocks are posted here for all to admire and the top and quilt should be finished by Midnight on New Years Eve 2020 to win an exclusive TSP Prize winners badge

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 16:02:52 PM »
@Arloony As Iminei says, my blocks so far, and everyone else's, are on display in the BOM HOF  (Block of the Month Hall of Fame) that Iminei has linked to.   :)

Lisalou1965

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 13:51:41 PM »
@Iminei ...have you forgotten that today is June 1st...and we are supposed to get a new BOM today...or am I missing something? :(
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 13:55:09 PM »
We're only halfway into the first day, and Imi had the unmissable chance of sailing last week, so give the woman some space!   :scream:   :P

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 14:28:42 PM »
She's busy gallivanting all over the high seas!!
Pretending she's with Capn Jack Sparrow ( well I would be )  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2020, 14:31:05 PM »
I do miss that avatar!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lisalou1965

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 14:32:47 PM »
Ooops, I did'nt know...sorry. I hope she is having a loverly time and I will apologise profusely when she comes back, for being a pest.  :facepalm:

Lx

Pearl

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 14:35:29 PM »
You're not a pest, @Lisalou1965 .  Just keen.   :hug:

Lowena

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 15:17:56 PM »
You're not a pest @Lisalou1965 we were all expecting it to be up by now. However, life sometimes gets in the way ( wish  Cap'n Jack would get in my way  :faints: ) :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lisalou1965

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 22:24:53 PM »
Ok Ladies, I could do with a spot of help...as we don't yet have a new BOM, I have been thinking about sashing - and backing. Could it be the same fabric, do you think? Or should it be different - or can it be different. QAYG is totally new to me and I am not entirely sure...
I will post my blocks so far, as I am looking for a colour for the sashing and cannot make up my mind. All the fabrics are stuff I had in my stash, so the blocks may be a bit unconventional...dunno. I quite like them. I was wondering about an olive or sage green - or is that going to be like a sore thumb? Another option I was thinking about was a sort of dark grey - slate grey? Are tone on tone fabrics a good idea for sashing, or should they be solids? So many decisions....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I cannot find the photos of the others, but at least you have some idea with these...help  :S
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 22:37:40 PM by Lisalou1965 »

Acorn

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 22:40:50 PM »
All I can say is that my backing and sashing will be the same fabric, and I like the effect that gives.   :)

Pearl

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 22:51:09 PM »
The backing as in the back of your quilt?  I’m using the same for the sashing and the background but have not decided what to use as the backing.  I don’t really want to buy more fabric so might have a look in my stash. 

Why were you thinking about green, @Lisalou1965 ?  Do you already have that and the grey?  If so, lay your blocks on it and see what you think.  I did a cut and paste thing with my blocks and the prospective sashing on the computer to see which I preferred (and then bought them both). 

Tone on tone is good or a blender that looks textured. 

I didn’t realise I was so indecisive until I started quilting.

ETA - I’ve just remembered - I have some spray time in various colours.  I can use that for my backing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 22:57:27 PM by Pearl »