The Sewing Place

TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics

LouiseS

Re: TSP's 2020 BOM - The Basic Basics
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2020, 21:18:14 PM »
Thank you @Lowena
I’ve never tried it before but enjoy hand sewing so thought this maybe a good opportunity to have a go.

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
Not that I can handanything but I heard this tip from a lady that did impeccable hand embroidery ...

She said she was taught at school by stitching the pattern with a sewing machine first ... longest stitch length and without any thread .... and then following the line of holes with her needle and thread ... or something like that .. it made sense to me ...

Other methods involve templates, pouncing??! and the like

Good luck, Im sure Lowena will help you with any further questions and tips and please let us see your progress.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »
I like the idea of hand quilting to, as this is supposed to be quilt as you go could you do a mixture of hand and machine or would it look funny.

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 14:32:28 PM »
Your Quilt your Rules ... Are you joining us @Celia  ???

Celia

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 17:29:32 PM »
I have done a couple of your blocks but have sort of got lost along the way, hopefully I will get back to it soon, my problem is lack of space as my Son is using my room for his work at the moment.

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 20:17:21 PM »
Ooh er Missus ... Turf 'Im out!

Celia

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »
Ok brain back on quilt let see how I go

Celia

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2020, 13:24:58 PM »
I need help probably from @Lowena  how small a space can I piece in, notice I didn’t say quilt so far I have put what I think as essentials in a work box, plus fabric. I feel like I need to move half the room

Lowena

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2020, 13:46:19 PM »
@Celia to piece you need enough space to cut out each component of your block plus your machine.
I have an ordinary size desk with the machine on one end. This leaves me about 1ft x 1ft space for my cutting mat. I cut out the pieces for each block individually and sew a block at a time.
That is obviously the smallest space I can and do use. Anything bigger is a bonus  :D
You need, rotary cutter,ruler,cutting mat and possibly a pin or peg or two.
Hope that helps
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2020, 16:42:22 PM »
Thanks @Lowena i am putting together a basket and will try to be movable but in the meantime I have found something else to work on which doesn’t take up much space, will it qualify me for a slot in the dark side? :devil: