The Sewing Place

Juki Sewing Machines

Sewbee

Juki Sewing Machines
« on: January 29, 2020, 13:40:43 PM »
Oh dear! I have a bade case of SMAD (sewing machine addiction)! I certainly don’t need a machine but I am Interested in learning about the Juki, in particular the Juki DX-7. Does anyone have one or seen one demoed? I wonder how it’s quality and performance compares to Bernina.

JudyN

Re: Juki Sewing Machines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 13:48:04 PM »
I have a new Juki HZL-353Z-a. But I'm unlikely to be any use to you whatsoever as mine is a LOT more basic than the DXL, and given my lack of experience I couldn't tell a good modern machine from a bad one!

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 13:57:50 PM »
I am biased because I have two Berninas, but I only bought the first one after trying out the Juki DX-7. It didn't compare as far as I was concerned but that's only my opinion.  :[  I know Juki's have a really good reputation but I just didn't bond with the one I tried.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 16:21:27 PM »
Oh dear! I have a bade case of SMAD (sewing machine addiction)! I certainly don’t need a machine but I am Interested in learning about the Juki,

There must be something in the water, for the last week I've had a yen for an old sewing machine, even to getting quotes from Shipley on carriage.  Then done a complete turn round and started looking at the Janome 6600P/Atelier, then gone back to another Pfaff.  In the past I've hankered for a Juki, but the dealer I was looking at didn't have them so none came up in feature search. Where I live, no Juki dealers to try out on.  I like to do things with stealth on line, no prices out in the open then  :devil:

It will have to be a case of one out before  one comes in though (a bit Sophie's choice).  In the mean time I've settled on another chair after 20 years of use of my old office chair.  I'm not getting rid of it, just fed up of shifting from one machine  to another, easier to have two. :)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 08:14:44 AM »
I can’t give you a proper opinion because my DX7 is new and I have barely touched it, to my dismay and shame. I swopped it for a defunct Bernina 1130, an electronic but not computerised machine that kept breaking. The 1130 was all I needed in a machine save for a couple of things which the DX7 features. The Juki is also much, much lighter in case I have to move it. I wanted to compare it to a new Bernina but couldn’t justify the cost so didn’t bother. I still have a Bernina 801 mechanical as a back-up. I have done all kinds of sewing from dressmaking, soft furnishings to Darksider stuff. The DX7 doesn’t have the biggest harp space but I don’t foresee myself making large bed quilts or heavy coats.

Only you can decide whether it’s right for you. I have a dealer who can service it an hour’s drive from me. That’s another consideration.