The Sewing Place

Help! Forgotten details of Bernina engineer in Hertfordshire

Marniesews

Help! Forgotten details of Bernina engineer in Hertfordshire
« on: January 30, 2020, 14:31:39 PM »
 :'(   About a year ago (I think) I was given the name of a recommended Bernina service engineer in Hertfordshire (somewhere near Watford?) but now I need it, I can't find it. So typical of me.

He is a Bernina specaalist and I think it might possibly have been a recommendation from @HenriettaMaria but I could have that completely wrong. If anyone knows, please take pity on me.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

HenriettaMaria

Re: Help! Forgotten details of Bernina engineer in Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 16:08:16 PM »
Not sure if it was me, but if it was, he was Robert Theobald in Luton and he's now retired to Weymouth.  I found this chap in Letchworth who claims to cover Watford - haven't had to use him but might be worth a try:

https://rpsewingmachines.co.uk/

Celia

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 16:37:38 PM »
I think it might be Steve you are looking for he was the mechanic at the sewfine shop and now trades under the name himself here is his website. https://www.sewfine.co.uk/  In my opinion he is the best certainly in that area otherwise I would recommend Frank Knutt in Birmingham but I have not used him personally for repairs.

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 16:53:56 PM »
@Marniesews I can recommend where I've had my Bernina machines serviced and repaired for at least 12 years. He's a little far from you, but well worth using his services. He's totally honest and his prices are extremely reasonable.

A couple of months ago I sold a Bernina cabinet which accommodated a 730 Record or an 830 record, she travelled from Leighton Buzzard to collect it, was so thrilled to find it. She saw my 830's and decided to keep an eye open for a bargain. She spoke to the man I use and travelled back with the machine thinking it needed a new motor. He sorted the machine with just a service and adjustment. I won't repeat what price she'd been quoted by a Bernina main dealer for repair plus new motor (if they could get one). He said I have customers who travel further!

So if you want to give him a call and ask his advice he's extremely helpful and there is no pressure whatsoever.

His prices for servicing are so reasonable. https://www.tomsew.co.uk/book-online

twopence

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 17:29:52 PM »
@Marniesews i think it was me and Celia is correct I recommended Steve of Sewfine at Watford.  What he doesn’t know about Bernina’s can be written on a pinhead.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 19:21:27 PM »
A friend has her machine serviced by Steve at SewFine and recommends him highly. I’ve always had mine serviced by Andy at Sew Northampton but he has now retired so I will probably take my machine to Steve.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 19:55:29 PM »
I am another one who will recommend Steve at Sewfine Watford, I have bought machines from Sewfine and had them serviced there as well, and even further back bought knitting machines from Sewfine when they were in Uxbridge.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 21:26:44 PM »
I am another one who will recommend Steve at Sewfine Watford, I have bought machines from Sewfine and had them serviced there as well, and even further back bought knitting machines from Sewfine when they were in Uxbridge.

Me too

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 23:56:52 PM »
Thank you all. Steve rings a bell more than Sewfine but I think it had to have been one of you who recommended him - or perhaps several of you as there seems to be a lot of agreement from those of you who know him. Many thanks to all.

I must write this down in my sewing note book this time!

:)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »
Marniesews Sewfine the retail shop has been inseveral places in Watford, and was run by Malcolm, last place before Malcolm retired was in Queen's Road, so just past the underpass that separated the two parts of the old Harlequin.  Malcolm also had shops in Egdware and Uxbridge.  Steve was Malcolm's mechanic for many years.  So when Malcolm  retired, Steve took over the Sewfine name and moved himself to North Watford to cheaper premises and only sells machines and does servicing - nothing else - all the fabrics, haberdashery, knitting machines and yarn, various courses which were held up above the shop have long gone which is a shame.

However we are lucky in that Steve is an excellent mechanic, he really knows his machines inside out and is rated very highly by the Bernina people in London.  It really would be worth your making a trip to see him, he is very close to the A41 so you do not have to actually go into North Watford shopping area, as he is in a complex called The Wenta Business Park.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 16:31:38 PM »
Thank you for the extra detail @Elnnina , both useful and interesting to know.   :)