The Sewing Place

Burda 10/2012 jacket

dolcevita

Burda 10/2012 jacket
« on: January 31, 2020, 22:10:31 PM »
This must be one of the fastest jackets I've ever made.  No hems, no lining, no facings, no buttons......and yet it still looks like a short coat and, what's more, I cut it from 2m of fabric.  Blimey!

I bought some pale grey wool coating last year (or maybe the year before, it gets a bit blurry) and was nonplussed when it arrived and I realised that it was knitted boiled wool.  As usual, it sat in my stash for a while until I decided on the pattern, which was earlier this week whilst leafing through some older Burda magazines.  Their version is in a super fluffy mohair but similar in colour, which is what caught my eye initially.  I steered clear of the trend a few years back for not finishing hems and seams, I just couldn't bring myself to do it, but 8 years later, I find that I quite like it in the right garment and fabric.

The collar was a bit of a puzzle, but by completely ignoring the instructions and looking carefully at the pictures, I figured it out.  I think Burda's instructions made it more difficult than necessary, to be honest.  As my fabric isn't fluffy, I topstitched the seam allowances either side of the seams to give a bit of interest and keep the bouncy seam allowances under control.  I've had to give the jacket a quick wash (I'd already laundered the fabric so it's done all its shrinking already) to get rid of the pesky yellow chalk I used for marking - I couldn't see white well enough. 

Here's the jacket/short coat - if anyone has this issue of Burda, it's a worthwhile pattern.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

Re: Burda 10/2012 jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 22:17:44 PM »
Looks good.  But........I can’t do the no hems thing.  Just doesn’t sit well with me.   :)

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 22:20:44 PM »
Looks good.  But........I can’t do the no hems thing.  Just doesn’t sit well with me.   :)

This is the first garment I've ever done it with, @Ohsewsimple !  It really has taken me 8 years to come around to it and I don't think it will feature much in my wardrobe, but I'm happy with it here.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
That's superb. As usual. I wish I were as productive.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Très chic @dolcevita, love this style  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »
That’s one comfy looking coat...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »
I like that!  Love the edges and hem - or lack of.  It looks a super colour too.