The Sewing Place

6PAC Wardrobing contest - 10.02.-31.05.2020

Manuela

6PAC Wardrobing contest - 10.02.-31.05.2020
« on: February 01, 2020, 02:01:39 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place's 6 PAC Wardrobing contest. For this contest you will create 2 coordinating capsules with 3 pieces each for Spring/Summer if you are in the Northern Hemisphere or Autumn/Winter for those in the Southern Hemisphere. The content of your capsules is entirely up to you, it largely depends on your lifestyle.
The pieces of one capsule should be interchangeable with the other - so a healthy mix of neutrals and accent colours or print would make sense here.

Here a few examples how different it could be:
Yours truly would most probably make 2 dresses and a sleeveless duster for each capsule.
Indigotiger on the other hand wears mostly pinafores and tops, so those would be her capsules, while SewRuthieSews would most probable create capsules that contain tops, jackets/cardies and trousers/skirts.

So, get into your stashes, lay everything out and start dreaming and planning  :D

Here a few rules (I'm German after all) mostly about timing and posting.
As I was somewhat preoccupied with hunting for face masks, planning Plan B, sourcing flooring and what not, I'm a bit behind with putting this contest up, please accept my apologies. Hence we'll start a bit later.
1. Sewing starts on February 10th and should be completed on May 10th - you can prepare patterns, fit and cut before the starting date.
2. Please submit your entries latest on May 17th (that gives you one week after the official end date to take pictures).
3. There should be one picture of all 6 garments - this can be a composite
4. All 6 pieces should be garments, not accessories such as bags, hats, scarves, etc.
5. You can include one garment that has been made previously (no time frame there)
6. Please use the template below for your entries:

(your name)'s Entry

What did you make (you could also mention challenges, difficulties, etc.)

Patterns used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

Pictures (ideally included in the text, but I can do that for you if needed)

Happy Sewing

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:59:01 AM by Manuela »

Renegade Sewist

Re: 6PAC Wardrobing contest - 10.02.-10.05.2020
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:33:58 AM »
Yay!!!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

indigotiger

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
Oh this is going to be FUN!! I am full of ideas...
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
Hurrah! And yes I won't be making dresses/pinafores, but I do plan to participate!!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
Manuela, would it be against the rules to have something in one of the capsules that had been an entry for another competition, such as the shirt competition for instance?
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
@Fabric Lover, that would be highly encouraged, the idea is to make things you wear  :) I will also add that you can include one previously made garment to the rules.

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 13:39:11 PM »
Yes, I'm in! I love 3 PACs , 6PACs any old PACs.
I have enough fabric for 4 pieces ,so only have to get 2 lengths.

At the moment my plan is
PAC1- 1. Shirt, cardigan, skirt
PAC2 - 2. Top, cardigan, trousers

PAC1- Shirt in blush feather print cotton, probably Grainline Archer
       - Cardigan in dull pink rib ponte, Itch  to Stitch Lisbon
       - Skirt in a toning drill or linen, Style Arc Sutton
PAC2- Top in dusky pink double gauze, probably Tessuti Kate
       - Longline Cardigan in natural linen jersey, probably my modified Ottobre pattern
       - Trousers in toning linen, maybe in the new wide leg ankle length.

I will start with the feather print shirt as I am going to enter it into the Shirt competition.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

renita

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 03:58:37 AM »
I like the sound of your 6PAC @Starryfish.

I have some ideas about creating an activewear 6PAC, since that's where I have a gap in my wardrobe right now.  The SWAKOPs have sorted out my everyday clothing needs for a while. I'd love to be able to do it from stash, if I can.  That's as far as my plan goes so far...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 04:10:54 AM »
Love the updated time frame @Manuela . Only free for daydreaming in between stuff before February 12th.

Mine will be mostly pants, likely cropped, and tops, likely variations on a tee. But I just bought some fabulous wovens for tops so will look into that too.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

indigotiger

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 04:56:13 AM »
1   grey chore coat,  Frenchglen Barn Jacket, heavy grey canvas
2   grey linen pinafore, self drafted TNT (heavyweight linen)
3    grey rayon top, embellished with block printing, self drafted (textured rayon remnant deep stash)

1   teal/black linen pinafore, self-drafted TNT (Kaufman Essex linen/cotton)
2    indigotiger rayon popover, self drafted TNT (printed rayon with indigo tigers)
3    teal/multicolor rayon top, self drafted, colorblocked, using several coordinating vintage 80's fabrics

the chore coat is a new-to-me pattern, so there will necessarily be at least one and probably more than one muslins needed... I've been feeling like adding teal/turquoise as an accent color for a while, and this seems like the perfect excuse. It feels like more of a warm season color to me than my usual grey/indigo/black/brown, so a teal pinafore will be a good transitional option.

I just realised last night that I could use the same idea as my popover dresses to make a shorter version as a top to wear under a pinafore when the weather is warming. This will let me use some of the smaller remnants in my stash as well as give me another option for my favorite thing: surface embellishment...  Both of the tops will be able to be worn under either of the pinafores (as well as with most all of the ones already in my closet, ditto for the popover dress with the indigo tigers. (that print has a black background with what look like grey accents, and tigers in two different shades of indigo and teal... the fabric is on back order until the end of March)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:58:23 AM by indigotiger »
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 16:34:29 PM »
I just taught a class to an after school group on wardrobe planning with capsules about a week ago, and we're doing a modified 3 PAC there, with a focus on changing styles within your body shape.   I should scan in the planning paper I used and post it (based on Justine LeConte's youtube videos, who got the credit). 

So I have at least one boring 6 PAC in the work...basic skirt/blouse/blouse combos.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I snapped this up from the craft club sales table for £1.  The square is 70"x70"  175cmx175 and I think it's probably intended as a tablecloth but it shouted circular skirt to me.

I'll use the skirt from Butterick 4790 and move the seams to the sides.  That is actually an elipse, slightly flatter front and back, but adding the seam allowances at the sides should negate that.  I'll need to cut the bottom with the print.

To go with it I have piece of royal blue jersey and a scrap of turquoise jersey  which will make a tee shirt, but the newly acquired yellow jersey is much too lemon, the print is an orangy yellow so I'll need to re-think that.  I was thinking of a bolero top from Simplicity 2183 with a frill around the bottom - inspired by a Joe Browns RTW jacket that I have.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:08:30 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
Skirt is cut out - in the end I had to go with the print on the fabric, so the waist is barely an elipse.

Also cut out a tee shirt from NewLook 6735 using the scrap of turquoise and an old (me sewn :S ) royal blue tee which didn't fit well and was too scooped at the neckline.  Not 100% sure that different coloured sleeves will work, we'll see.  The the blue fabric is much the same weight and handle as the turquoise whereas the blue for the bolero is stretchier.

I've cut out the bolero, and self drafted a frill to go around the bottom using slash and spread technique and have cut the frills from the corners of the skirt fabric.

Can't do any more until some royal blue overlocking thread arrives later today,  The old blue tee was sewn with a light blue/grey and it looked awful inside.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:35:39 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 13:56:26 PM »
First capsule completed; modelled by Agatha as she doesn't mind wearing summer clothes in the middle of winter!  I might post a piccie of me wearing the ensemble when the weather improves.  I have some yellow sandals which should look right.

I'm pleased with the skirt and the tee, but not sure about the bolero.  It's a different fabric to the tee, much stretchier which made it difficult to join to the woven fabric.  Also the pattern is designed for wovens.

It was the first time I've used the overlocker to do a rolled hem - that went well and was quite easy to do.
The closure on the bolero is a loop of elastic  on the right to go around the button on the left front; the other button is just for decoration and to cover up the ends of the elastic.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 13:58:34 PM »
Detail of the bolero closure.