The Sewing Place

6PAC Wardrobing contest - 10.02.-31.05.2020

Lachica

Re: 6PAC Wardrobing contest - 10.02.-10.05.2020
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
@elisep great choices, I'll look forward to seeing these.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

wrenkins

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
@elisep @b15erk made V1387 recently and her trials and tribulations are here:S She did go on to win the shirt comp with it though. 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »
Let's admit it. No place to go for the next few months most likely, what with my health issues. Sigh.

So it's gonna be an isolation wardrobe.  :D  Same patterns I'd planned but not the nicer fabrics.

Haven't cut yet as I was going to use tables at the Senior Center which was closed almost two weeks ago. Improvising  now.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

elisep

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »
@elisep @b15erk made V1387 recently and her trials and tribulations are here:S She did go on to win the shirt comp with it though. 0_0

Oh dear, thanks for drawing my attention to it @wrenkins... my fabric is a very drapey, slippery silk charmeuse that I absolutely love and have been saving for the right project. I might have to re-think the pattern. I was trying to choose between that and Burda 6632 which has good reviews on PR so perhaps i'll make that instead. The vogue is such a lovely design though. If I have time to make a toile I'll give it a try.

Here's my fabric for my french jacket;

Lining is a remnant of hot pink silk I picked up on sale. I've cut out the fabric and lining, made the patch pockets. I started to sew the body of the jacket then realised I probably need to underline the fabric since it is quite a loose weave. I know the couture method is to quilt the fabric to the lining but I don't really understand how the lining seams are then finished and I don't want to spend hours hand sewing. So I need to work out whether I should underline with some cotton (poplin or lawn maybe?), whether I can quilt the wool to the cotton or just treat it like a normal underlining (baste together in the seam allowance and then treat as one layer).
The instructions for the trim has thrown me and I've read through it multiple times and still don't get it  :S so I'm doing my trim slightly differently. I may omit the trim from the pockets.

I need to go through all my patterns and check I have all the right notions, thread etc. in case we get locked down further. Until further notice I'm on 4 day work weeks which will be great for sewing time! But not for my bank balance once my annual leave runs out. So it's going to be tighten the belt and no unnecessary purchases (my favourite online fabric store just started a sale too  :'( )
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 21:49:13 PM »
I am doing quite well with my 6PAC, including my previously sewn musical notes shirt, I  have also sewn some plain black bengaline trousers, a floral shirt with pearl buttons, some stripe trousers and a quilted zip front jacket (finished a few mins ago so not photos yet).
I have a black jacquard knit cardigan cut out but haven't started sewing it yet.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 22:38:14 PM »
That's great  @SewRuthieSews  .Good basics.

I've been really distracted,  mostly playing hunter gatherer due to the you know what. I'm really hoping that @Manuela will extend this out a bit.  :cake:  :gin:

elisep

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2020, 15:27:07 PM »
Well progress has been made although it occurred to me today that I'll probably struggle to get to 6 pieces before the deadline.
My black & silver Chanel jacket is as far along as I can get it, now I'm just waiting for the zippers to arrive (I had to order from overseas). Lining/facing is ready to go in once the zippers are in (separating zipper for the front closure, and zippered pockets instead of the patch pockets the pattern called for).

So in the interim, I made a decision on the Vogue blouse. Given the reviews for it, but still loving the look of it, I decided to use my mint green crepe de chine to make a (hopefully) wearable toile.
I went really, really slowly with my marking, cutting and sewing together. It turned out rather nicely, though there's a few things I'm not 100% happy with (like the sleeves, although by the time I got them in I was ready to be done on the whole project and couldn't be bothered pulling them and starting again. They don't look terrible, in my opinion). I misunderstood the instructions on the pleats and sewed them down to the bodice rather than stitching on the fold of the pleat, and it throws the fit off. I made a pleat in the back rather than gathering.
It was my first time putting in sleeve plackets (which actually surprised me, how have I not needed to do them before?) so they were hard work doing them for the first time in silk, however they turned out pretty well, and I think they give a lovely finish.
You only get photos on my dummy, as unfortunately, she's too small! A tad tight across the bust and upper arms, and the way I did the pleats accentuates the fact it's small in the bust. I definitely like this pattern, it'll look really lovely when it fits properly! But to get it to fit properly now I'll need to buy a new pattern to go the next size up. Considering I'm currently working in a tracksuit ( >< ) I don't need work clothes right now, however it's just tempting fate to make it again in the too-small size! So, I'm putting it on hold.

She looks lovely styled with a pencil skirt on my smaller-than-me dummy!  :[

This is the piece I think I'll replace the other blouse with;

It's a piece of chiffon in a pink camo-type print. It's actually left over from a dress I started to make for a friend's wedding last year, that I stupidly put a hole in the sleeve while overlocking the seam  :S I could have salvaged it but didn't love it so ended up buying RTW. But I kept the leftover piece (about half a metre) and the dress in case I needed to use the skirt. I think I'll just be able to squeeze out a very simple kimono sleeve top.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Greybird

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2020, 16:50:38 PM »
I was looking forward to this one. I made the first 3 pieces and ordered fabric for the next three. Unfortunately when it came, the colours were all wrong and didn't go with each other let alone the first three! As I can't go out and choose colours and don't feel inclined to risk internet ordering again for it, I have decided not to enter this one. I shall enjoy seeing the other entries though.

When I get round to it, I'll post photos of the first ones on my diary thread.

BrendaP

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 23:38:51 PM »
I'm not going to get the second half of this challenge done :o  Been too busy sewing scrubs!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2020, 01:42:08 AM »
Everyone, would e deadline extension until May 31st help you completing the contest? @elisep, @BrendaP and everybody else who can’t finish otherwise. Frankly speaking, given the state of the world, I’m happy to accept any capsule of 3 or more garments. How do you all feel about that?

Greybird

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
I can certainly manage 3, although one of them would probably fall into the category of something made previously because I can't be sure I didn't start it a day or two early - I quite forgot about entering it and I didn't notice what date it was.

An extension wouldn't help me because the difficulty of colour matching remains.

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »
I've done the first three, but I'm off again now to the sewing machine and scrubs.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
I'm just finishing the 6th piece, but if you want to extend I'm fine with that.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2020, 13:53:11 PM »
I've made a whole 6PAC already, but happy to have some more time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 20:39:57 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2020, 19:02:20 PM »
I put everything into a bin already. I had asked previously, twice, about a possible extension. Didn't happen so I switched gears to gardening weeks ago. This is a little too close to the end to start up again for me. Maybe some other time.