The Sewing Place

February's BOM - Courthouse Steps

Flobear

Re: February's BOM
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Well, now I have been lured to the Darkside mwah ha ha and know what a BOM is, I may have to go shopping for fabrics as I haven't much stashy stuff 
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »
Good Girl Stitches you can keep Lowena in check!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »
Hmmm.......  :P she can try!  :devil: :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 14:57:57 PM »
Can I join in too, I am not sure about colours for the whole quilt but will definitely do this one in stash fabric even if it remains an orphan and becomes a cushion.  Off to check stash

coffeeandcake

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 15:55:23 PM »
I have really been looking forward to this.  It will be my first real foray into the Darkside. I did make a cot quilt for DGS last year but it was just 5" squares and I thought it was a bit meh :\  I'll need to buy a smaller cutting mat (just have a large one which I use for dressmaking) and an Omnigrip ruler.  I'm quite excited :D

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 16:15:19 PM »
Welcome aboard girls  <3
Well........I have completed the first block

WendyW

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 16:16:00 PM »
I was thinking that I have a couple of jelly rolls which would be ideal for this... then I realised that there would be no way of matching the colours for the other blocks!

Sure there is! Find a couple yardages that coordinate, they don't have to be a perfect match. Use those for any places that the jelly roll strips will be too small, and the strips everywhere that they fit. Most blocks have at least some sections that can be cut from a 2.5" strip. If you happen to have a layer cake that matches a jelly roll, then you are all set.

I'm in. And I'm picking up my granddaughter today for some fun, so maybe I'll take her fabric shopping and let her pick the fabrics. A year-long project might be a bit too long for a 3yo to have patience for, but I think if I have a new block done each time I see her, it would be a happy thing to look forward to. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 16:29:15 PM by WendyW »

Pearl

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 16:19:43 PM »
Although it is straightforward, I enjoyed doing it and I'm pleased with the result  :loveit:

Who are you and what have you done with @Lowena ?  Post some pics and we'll know you're definitely an impostor.

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 16:39:56 PM »
@Pearl no photos.....as you well know  :P :D
I wanted it done before my holiday  <3

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 21:53:06 PM »
@WendyW And that would mean I had to go to Calico Kate and choose some more fabric, wouldn't it!!  0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

WendyW

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 23:17:00 PM »
@Acorn That sounds like a very good thing to me!  My granddaughter and I just chose a matching jelly roll/layer cake/fat quarters set for mine. I think I have some solids in my stash that will match.

RJR_38

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 07:10:57 AM »
Log cabin block is so versatile and you can make some beautiful designs with it if you are careful with colour placement. I like the designs that end up looking curved. A scant 1/4 seam is so important for this block - especially as it grows.

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 14:17:42 PM »
Made another Log Cabin block today. :angel:
Like it rather more than the first one I made but have kept both.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 18:12:41 PM »
Do you think I only make the one block when I do a tut @Lowena  ...
Nope ... That's why lap quilts come into existence!

I'm not a big fan of this block but I came to like the accuracy I could achieve by measuring, and trimming if necessary, at each step of the way.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 19:01:31 PM »
I love a log cabin quilt.  I made a curvy log cabin for the first PL challenge and I love the scrappy log cabin I made last year, especially as so many TSPers advised me along the way.  This is on my To Do list.

In the meantime, BOM fabric is on order.