The Sewing Place

Girl Charlee UK has ceased trading!

Vezelay

Girl Charlee UK has ceased trading!
« on: February 02, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »
As of today - I just clicked on their site and saw this. So sudden, and no warning at all. I do hope anyone here who ordered recently has got their fabric by now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:24:53 AM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

Re: Girl Charlee has ceased trading!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »
I received an email @Vezelay to say the fabric can still be bought in through their USA supplier. I'm glad my bargains are here.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
Ah, that explains their lack of stock when I looked a week ago.  Not sure I've ever actually bought from them, as I found them expensive and most of their jersey fabrics were more aimed at children.

Fiona M

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »
I hated everything I bought from them.  Poor quality.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
I always thought there UK arm a strange set up.

Around the time the UK version appeared I'd been looking at their US site from a blog link for a particular fabric. All of a sudden you were no longer able to access the US site (they had some patterns that I was interested in as well) and were taken to the very much watered down UK site. I actually phoned them and complained that surely it wasn't right that they should take away my choice of even viewing the US site. The guy (they were apparently friends of the US people) said they didn't want UK people to use the US site.......

As you will have guessed I have never bought from them.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Vezelay

Re: Girl Charlee UK has ceased trading!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
I've bought a few metres from them over the past few years, usually in a sale and mostly good quality fabric.

I discovered the closure when I was looking for some peacock blue cotton jersey for a Jenna cardigan (à la @Ploshkin ) like this. It's just struck me that I already bought this a while back for this purpose and it's in my stash - doh! :S

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 12:15:56 PM »
I suppose that explains the very good deals in their recent sale, and the email telling me that their US site was now delivering to the UK.  I'm glad I gave in and bought when I did - it's all really lovely stuff.

ETA I've just noticed that the email about their UK site did say that the UK site had ceased trading - I just didn't read it all.  I haven't found the UK shipping costs, but the fabric costs are much lower than in the UK.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:20:33 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »
I've just checked and the lowest shipping cost for 2 yards of cotton lycra jersey (estimated delivery day would be next Friday) is $22.12 - roughly £16.75. 

However, the fabric I looked at would have been $10.40 (£7.80) for the 2 yards, where I think it would have been at least £20, possibly more, for 2 metres from the UK Girl Charlee, plus £3 shipping, so it wouldn't take long to make up an order that was a really good deal.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 19:51:23 PM »
That explains both the really good recent sale and why it wasn't available here in the US. I dislike companies having totally different sites for different locations. Grr. Even my favorite grocer. The website thinks I'm in Arizona, quite a distance from California. The sale flyer for there pops up and they have much better pricing. Bugs me as much of the fresh produce this place is famous for is grown in California. Real estate prices for the stores is much higher here so I'll pretend that's the reason.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewcycle

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
I was shocked to read this too, though it does explain why I managed to buy fabric for £1.99 a metre in their recent sale. Most of their fabric never really appealed to me but this did - brown with large flowers. I’m sad it’s gone though. I’m sad when any fabric shops closes down.
'Is there a life before breakfast'