The Sewing Place

Restoring a Jones Treadle Cabinet

Wychall

Restoring a Jones Treadle Cabinet
« on: February 02, 2020, 17:42:33 PM »
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,8910.0.html

My lovely Jones treadle machine and cabinet have now gone off to a new home. My good lady was most disappointed so I have started to refurbish it's replacement.

Just a quick polish, do you think?

Oh well, let's take it apart then.

Put the doors to pickle in paint stripper.....

Getting better.....

Much better!

I think the lid needs some attention now....

Watch this space, I'll be back soon.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 17:45:56 PM by Wychall »
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

Gernella

Re: Restoring a Jones Treadle Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 18:06:37 PM »
Well even with these pictures @Wychall, I can tell you know exactly what you are doing.  That little glimpse of the woodwork after treatment was enough to get me interested. 

A miracle in the making, good luck.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Wychall

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 19:23:34 PM »
Thank you for your comments @Gernella , I enjoy a challenge. I have now stripped the lid, looking good on the inside with a wipe of linseed oil.

Unfortunately the top surface is not quite so nice. Evidently the veneer had been compromised so was stripped off before painting. It will need quite a bit of work to improve it's looks.

I now have both the lid and a new sheet of veneer sitting in the spare bedroom where it will stay for a couple of weeks to acclimatise and dry before being resurfaced.

Work continues on the doors though. Mustn't get bored....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 19:33:12 PM by Wychall »
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire

arrow

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 20:55:33 PM »
I am impressed! How did you get the white paint off? I have a few pieces of furniture someone painted white, and I have so far managed to sand it off half way. I love the classic stained oak finish.

Wychall

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 21:10:50 PM »
@arrow
Sanding wasn't an option due to the heavy carving on the doors so I resorted to paint stripper. Nothing seems to work as well as the strippers of old so I tried numerous 'new' versions. The best I found to be Nitromors or Paint Panther. It was then multiple applications, scraping, wire brushing, alcohol spray and so on. Then out came the little dental pick to get the remaining flecks out of the grain and the little nooks and crannies. Then out came the sandpaper, blister cream and muscle rub. No one said it was easy.  ;) Next will be a couple of coats of linseed oil and then the traditional shellac.

I agree about classic stained oak, and also mahogany, which this is.  :devil:

Wychall

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
Starting to see some progress now. Both doors stripped, with the first one sanded and oiled. Finally seeing the glow of the mahogany. I just wish I had some heating in the workshop!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »
That is looking beautiful @Wychall !  Wish I had the time to spent on mine.  Although mine isn't in a cabinet, the cover is in very poor shape, and I don't know where to start with the machines - I'm more used to Singers.

You've worked hard getting the wood to look so lovely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Wychall

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 18:07:12 PM »
Well now, the main carcase is now stripped and ready for oiling. This picture shows it mainly naked, with the exception of the nearest face which has a final coat of paint stripper on it to try to lift the annoying white flecks from within the grain.

Unfortunately, just as I started to think that I could see light at the end of the tunnel, up pops another one to join the queue in the workshop......

EBay has got a lot to answer for! The front looks reasonable but the sides and top are not so good so I may as well strip the lot. The machine is a mess as well although the decals are complete.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 17:35:00 PM »
It looks superb to me, great job

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 19:47:17 PM »
Looks fabulous!  :)
Willing but not always able :)