The Sewing Place

Anyone used Pauline Alice patterns?

b15erk

Anyone used Pauline Alice patterns?
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:41 AM »
I've just been having a quick look at jacket patterns, and This came up.

I have heard of Pauline Alice patterns, but not used them - and there are a few that I really fancy.

So, anyone used them?  Well drafted? Sizing?  Any thoughts?

I think I may just plunge in if they do PDF's... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

Re: Anyone used Pauline Alice patterns?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
@b15erk have you checked Pattern Review?

I’ve never heard of them but now need to checkout the website urgently!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
I'm afraid I bought it...  ;)

I have the perfect fabric - if I have enough... 

Watch this space...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
Well, I've had a look at Pattern Review, and it is a lovely pattern, but, the lady who made it seems to think it's for advanced sewers, and I'm worried that I may struggle...  -<

Otoh, on the website, there is a Biker Jacket hack, for the same pattern. 

So, I have choices.

Sizes seem good, with finished sizes included which is always helpful.

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »
Oh I do like that Jessie.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »
I haven't used her patterns but remembered hearing good things about them. Don't worry about the pattern being too advanced. You'll have plenty of help from advanced sewists on TSP. I have to exclude myself from that category though. ;)

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
I've bookmarked the site for a closer look on a larger screen - I think I like some of those patterns.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
Really nice looking coat, best of luck with it.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Clareew

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
I have made the Aldaia dress for my daughter, it has lots of options and the straight skirt with extra front seams made it excellent for adjusting for dancer's thighs.
Unfortunately it is in black so I have lightened it a bit but it is still difficult to see the lines.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 13:32:57 PM »
I really, really like that coat pattern! But stop it, I’m just finishing a coat and really flagging with it being such a big project! But it’s soo nice
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 14:39:00 PM »
Oooh, very nice pattern. I'm tempted myself.

As for the advanced aspects, so many intermediate sewers just wouldn't tackle a coat on principle that it sounds like tailoring even though it uses techniques in which they may be more than competent. The combination of side pleats, double breasted design, lining and just being a coat puts it in the advanced sewer's category for many people but individually you wouldn't worry about it so no need to do now either. I've only ever made one coat myself now I think about it although that was reversible and got used for more than a decade (Burda magazine pattern in the 80s). I do have two coat patterns in my stash though, waiting until I've shed the last stone.

I'm very much looking forward to hear how it goes together as well as seeing the finished result.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 15:36:11 PM »
@b15erk: there is a beautiful version by sunnysewer on PR.  She is a professional, though.  There are seven more reviews of varying standards.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 15:47:47 PM »
Thanks for that @UttaRetch , I'd only seen the review from Velosewer.  Not sure that if I do make it, it will be wearable...

Still, I have fabric, who knows, I may give it a whirl... ;)

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 15:49:43 PM »
I am entirely the wrong shape for the coat and I don't like the collar either.  :D

sewingj

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 20:47:46 PM »
Come on Jessie - I've seen the things you have sewn - I reckon you're a lot more "advanced" than most people!