The Sewing Place

Roman Blind UFO - Yes!!

b15erk

Roman Blind UFO - Yes!!
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
I started this project a while ago, (2+ years) and for various reasons, it didn't get finished.  a) the lining fabric wasn't very good and b) the top support wasn't secure.

The project was for two Roman blinds for my kitchen.  One got made but I wasn't happy with it for the above reasons.  I got new lining fabric, but not sure if I'm any happier with it either  ;) 

Anyway over the weekend, I decided that the chair covers matching the blinds were disgusting, and I needed to replace them.  :x  In order to do this,  I had to dig the fabric out, and the blinds came to light.  The original chaircovers  are OK for now, under the gross ones, so I decided to finish the blind.  :o

All day yesterday I spent on them.  Mostly hand stitched, and now just waiting to put the rods in and sew on the rings.  I can then hang it!  I call that a result.

Pics when I've hung it!

Jessie

I have to say, it will probably show the other blind up, and I may have to replace that one too.....

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

Re: Roman Blind UFO - Yes!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
Yehh   well done Jessie
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
Hmmmppphh, spoke too soon!  I painstakingly finished all the hand sewing last night, and went to hang the blind.  It's an awkward one, because I have to stand on the worktop, and reach over the sink - on my knees!!  Oh my lord it was painful!

Anyway, I got it up, and pulled the strings.  A big fat balloon is what I got.  I had only caught the lining layer when stitching the rings on.... I could have cried.....  :'(

So, OH took it down, and I'm now going to re-sew all the rings - properly this time!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mozzy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
Don't panic! Just stab stitch through all the layers, under each ring, and all should be well.  :thread:

Mozzy

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
Thanks Moz, that's what I decided to do in the end - life is just too short to unpick those rings!  I'm halfway through now, so should get them hung by the end of the day.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
OK, it is hung, albeit in a hurry, and it looks fine.  I may take it down one more time, just to tweak a bit - I can't stay up there for long periods of time as it kills my knees.

Now onto the chair covers.

Jessie

Sewsuzie

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Glad you've got it sorted, at last.... but more tweaks? Can't be that bad, can it? Windows in front of sinks are such a pain! Mine's filthy, for the same reason.... hurts kneeling on the sink and draining board.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
Suzie, I brought it into work to finish off, and it got quite creased, but I needed to hang it as we've nothing on the window now.  It's also quite a wide window, and when I climbed down, it didn't look quite 'right'.  It will only take 1/2 and hour, but it's such a pain - literally!

Upside is, I also cleaned the windows and upper frame, which tend to get a bit neglected.  :|

Jessie

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 21:58:52 PM »
You cleaned your window? :o  Steady on there!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !