The Sewing Place

My Winnie the Pooh coat!

Fabric Lover

My Winnie the Pooh coat!
« on: February 04, 2020, 13:39:54 PM »
Getting close to being finished, I just have to put the lining into the coat. DH has already christened it my Winnie the Pooh coat!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

Re: My Winnie the Pooh coat!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 13:51:09 PM »
@Fabric Lover  , that is lovely!  It looks toasty warm - just in time for a cold snap!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 14:54:35 PM »
Good luck with the bagging.  I've never mastered it and don't even attempt it now.  I just get a needle and thread and sew in by hand, I find it far quicker.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 17:00:59 PM »
Good luck with the bagging.  I’ve done it a couple of times but like @Ploshkin seemed to get a better result by hand.  This was the way I was taught first of all. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 17:40:26 PM »
I really like bagging a jacket or coat. There's something wonderful about turning it right side out and it all being nice and neat. I can imagine and rotate 3 D objects in my head so it feels fairly obvious what goes where to me anyway. Plus I'm not great at handstitching.

Having said that I'm just unpicking the lining on my latest make because its slightly too short at the sides/back, but ok in the centre front, and I probably wouldn't have to do that if I had hand sewed it!

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 17:53:51 PM »
Fab coat @SewRuthieSews . Now don't go dropping any hunny on it.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 22:15:37 PM »
@Tamnymore, the Winnie the Pooh coat belongs to @Fabric Lover not to me. I was just threadjacking with my woes on my current lining frustrations. Sorry if they confused matters.

@Fabric Lover has made a gorgeous coat!!

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 22:47:12 PM »
Oops sorry! Great coat @Fabric Lover:D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Fabric Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 23:41:40 PM »
Thanks all for your lovely comments. I hope that it will be good when I’m finished!

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »
It looks beautiful, @Fabric Lover  !  I tend to do a mix of bagging by hand and by machine as I sometimes find the hem of the lining pulls the outer coat up - even with a jump hem.  No idea what I do wrong but I then just attach the loose hem to the side seams with a thread chain.

Good luck, I bet it will go a lot easier than you fear and you'll soon be snuggling up in your gorgeous new coat xx

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
I don't bag coat or jacket lines and prefer to 'free hang'. 

Fabric Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
Bagging out done and I think it worked ok. Tried doing buttonholes last night but the fabric is just too thick. So I’m having to resort to large snaps.

dolcevita

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 20:09:41 PM »
It's a lovely coat. Which pattern did you use?

Fabric Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Bagging out was successful thankfully! The photo showing the back looks like some striping on the nap but it doesn’t look like this irl. The pattern was the Closet Case Clare coat.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:14:21 AM by Fabric Lover »

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 10:14:53 AM »
@Fabric Lover you've made a fabulous job of that.  What fabric is the collar facing, it's a bit dark on my computer screen.  Is it the same as the lining fabric or something else?
Life's too short for ironing.