The Sewing Place

Newbie needing help to make a silk sash

ThumbelinaPM

Newbie needing help to make a silk sash
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:08 AM »
Hi, I've joined the forum hoping for some advice.
I'm taking my Mum to a Clan Gathering in Scotland this summer so am buying 1.5m of the ancient tartan which is actually silk. So I'm worried it is too light for what I have in mind but surely it's a common use of the silk/tartan?

I would like to make a sash for both of us, to be worn diagonally across the body. I understand from a shop which sells the sashes (£63 each") that his are 130cm long.

Are there any tips I should use and should I try and weight the material with anything or will it 'sit' ok anyway do you think?

Any advice very welcome  0_0

jintie

Re: Newbie needing help to make a silk sash
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
There is a sash thread here already- do a search.
Rottweiler with scissors

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
Hello and welcome.

Silk usually drapes really well. As it isn't for a garment that will be hanging it shouldn't be a problem.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
@jintie  can you remember who started that thread?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jintie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
It was Sarah5478. A tartan one will be on the diagonal, so I would make it first in a cheap cotton of similar weight to the silk.

Try to see how the bought ones look on the shoulder- a dart or seam would be difficult to disguise in tartan- although a big brooch or flower would hide it.
Rottweiler with scissors

wrenkins

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
Thank you Wrenkie  :loveit:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
@Mamashep is probably the person to give the correct answer here.

From what I have seen with Mr Google it seems that there are several ways to wear a sash
https://macleanhistory.org/heraldry/wearing-of-tartan-sashes-by-ladies-in-evening-dress/.  Unless you are both very short I doubt if 130cm would be long enough to go diagonally over the shoulder and fasten near the waist. That length would be more suited to being fastened at the front shoulder to hang down the back.

A few  retail outlets give their sizes as 228cm - 90 inches in length
https://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/scottish/itempg.asp?itemid=39365&pc=437&TartanID=1794&Subcatid=149832

Or a ready made one in silk for £££
http://www.staonlineshop.co.uk/products/34-sash-silk-tartan-twill-weave.aspx

I suggest you get a length of cheap poly cotton (an old bed sheet) and experiment with it.  Remember that unless your tartan is woven as a wide 'ribbon' it will need to be double (sewn as a tube and turned) because both sides of it will be seen as you move about.

Edit - I know that tartan is reversible but turned hems on a silk fabric would not look so good!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 19:49:15 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »
Just a (possibly odd) thought.

The dancers of the RSCDS (Royal Scottish Country Dance Society) who dance at formal functions often make, or have made, their white dresses. I suspect they may also make their sashes so the society may be able to give you advice.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 15:51:40 PM »
Hairy hielanders didnae wear silk, but I suppose your mother isn't going to go for the 2-yard wide, 6-yard long plaid of the pre-proscription era!

I've made sashes and if the fabric is woven rather than printed then all it requires is a rolled hem (hand is best but machine will do).  If you can't stretch to that or the fabric is printed, do it double thickness.  The overall length will need to be whatever dimensions the body wearing it is, eg, from calf up to shoulder and down to shin plus allowance for tie-off, bow or whatever.  The finer the silk the more width of fabric you can use without it looking bulky.  Personally, I think more is better within the limits of trip hazards.  Too small an item and you're in Bay City Rollers territory!

jintie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »
Any sash progress?
Rottweiler with scissors