The Sewing Place

Open zip tip please?

Surest1tch

Open zip tip please?
« on: February 06, 2020, 22:04:09 PM »
Does anyone have a tip on how I can fix the fraying insert of an open ended coat zip please?
I really don't have time nor the very patience at the moment to strip the zip out and replace it (and that would be if I could find one long enough without it being chunky)  I like the coat a lot and don't really want to get rid of it. I haven't worn it much but sadly I've had it too long to return it.  I do vaguely remember reading a tip somewhere on how to make a temporary fix and thought I must remember that but can I heck as remember where or how  :S any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vezelay

Re: Open zip tip please?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:15:15 AM »
I had the same thing recently with a heavy fleece jacket. Started unpicking then thought "what the heck?" And took it to my local sewing alterations shop who replaced the zip for €18. Took 4 days. Worth every penny in my view.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
The only thing I can think of that might do it is some carefully applied glue that will dry to make the end stiff again.

Alternatively, you might be able to get an end from a website somewhere - I know you can buy zip top stops that you squeeze on with a pair of pliers.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
If it's the fabric which has come away from the teeth, I think your only chance is to glue a sturdy piece of fabric over the top. A piece of leather maybe?   Perhaps do the other side too so that it looks right.

Could you take a pic of the problem?

I can't think of any other way of doing it, sorry.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
@Surest1tch Where is it fraying?  At one end, or where it's stitched in, or by the teeth?

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 17:17:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies, it's coming dark now and I can't get a proper photo on my iPad at the moment because if there's a flash on it can I hell as find it but I will get one in the morning when it's lighter and you can see what I mean.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »
This is what I mean, I know it looks nothing but the frayed bit is enough to stop it sliding into the zip head properly
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
Would a dab of superglue stiffen it and hold it together well enough?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
It looks like the open end piece is attached but not quite at the end. If it is secure, can you just trim off the frayed bit? Or perhaps just stitch the loose bits back out of the way?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 15:14:39 PM »
I agree with Vezelay and have it replaced at an alterations shop rather then mess about and possibly make it unwearable.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 16:04:14 PM »
If you just sew the loose ends back behind the tape, well away from the teeth, it might work. If not, then you can still take it to a shop and nothing is lost.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 16:38:06 PM »
Thank you everyone, I'll give the superglue a go. It's no good me taking it to an alteration shop because I'd find fault with it and then I would end up donating it(yup I know that makes me picky).  If it doesn't work I'll just have to hang it up with the rest of the "to do" jobs until I manage to find time to replace it.