The Sewing Place

Singer 237

TheJay

Singer 237
« on: February 07, 2020, 21:02:33 PM »
I have a fully functioning Singer 237 electric sewing machine that I am thinking of selling as I already have a similar Singer machine that is slightly lighter to move about.

Does anyone know how much these are worth? It has the case but no manual or additional accessories.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:34:54 AM by Acorn »

Acorn

Re: Singer 237
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »
Hello TheJay and welcome to TSP.

Please re-read the membership agreement - there's a copy here - particularly the part that says 'New members are not allowed to post items for sale, or external links, until they have been members for 2 weeks and have at least 25 posts, except with admin approval.'

Pictures are acceptable, so I have converted your links to images using the [img] tags.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

TheJay

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 21:43:50 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I'm not actually selling it, I'm just asking for people's thoughts.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 21:54:10 PM »
Hi Thejay - as it says, external links aren't allowed until the poster has been a member for 2 weeks and has made at least 25 posts.  This is because people have a tendency to join in order to promote something else rather than become a part of the forum.  It has to be a blanket ban or it would be unworkable, but I did convert your links rather than delete them because it was clear you were not promoting anything.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

TheJay

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:30:55 AM »
When I wrote the post I couldn't see the button for adding images so appreciate the conversion, I still don't know what people think about this sewing machine.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
Hi @TheJay and welcome.

I don't know this particular model, but I had a very similar machine (a 1978 model) which I sold a couple of years ago for around £50.  I was able to let the prospective buyer try out the machine, which had been in use up until the time of sale.  Also it had recently been serviced. This all adds to the value as it reassures the buyer.  As the cost of service would be higher than the sale price, it's probably not worth it if you simply want to sell, though.

You could look at the prices on Gumtree and or Ebay to get some idea of what to charge, but the truth is that the older machines don't command high prices, even if they are clean and in full working order.

Good luck!  Maybe you'll decide to keep it and do some sewing on it?