The Sewing Place

Ironing help

snoozi soozi

Ironing help
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
This might not be the right place for this.....

I'm seriously considering buying a sleeve board for the ironing board as I'm sick of grappling with the not-at-all-narrow narrow end of my ironing board.

Any ideas or recommendations of said item? Or anybody got one and regretted it? Or any ideas for an alternative thing?

Thanks  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ohsewsimple

Re: Ironing help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
Can’t recommend one I’m afraid.  I’m on the lookout for one too but think I’ll have to wait for it as a pressie.   :). I want a wooden one this time.  I chucked my last one out.  It was metal and not terribly stable but it was years old.  Depends if you want it for sewing or just ironing  I guess.
I’m coping well without as I have covered an old fabric tube and use that. 

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 13:18:29 PM »
I have a Beldray one, but I bought it in the late 70's and so I doubt it's still in production!  It's simply a metal board with a u-shaped foot that swings backwards and into two metal clips.  It's padded and covered, of course, and I've redone the padding and covering when need has arisen.

Just checked and Brabantia do one that is virtually identical to mine.  Definitely worth having for shirt-making.  Not so good for setting in jacket and coat sleeves - for that you're better off with a ham or one of those pressing mitt things.

Argos do a Leiftheit sleeve board but claim it weighs 80kg, so maybe not such a good idea  ><

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 15:10:16 PM »
I have a double sleeve board, which I would recommend, one arm is 19 x 4 ins and the other is 19 tapering from 3.75 to 2.5 ins.  I had a quick look on the internet and there seems to be a fairly wide choice available.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 16:03:04 PM »
Sleeve boards are definitely worth having, though I can't help with a make as mine came with my first ironing board in the 80s.  It needs recovering.  I often use a tailor's ham when I'm ironing as well. (If you haven't got a ham there are tutorials online for making them).

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 16:30:15 PM »
I've Too have got a Beldray, I don't like it much because for me it's far too springy. DH cut me a narrow piece of wood which I padded and covered.  I just slide the sleeve over it and lay it on top of the ironing board.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 16:33:51 PM »
I have a double sleeve board, which I would recommend, one arm is 19 x 4 ins and the other is 19 tapering from 3.75 to 2.5 ins.  I had a quick look on the internet and there seems to be a fairly wide choice available.

Mine is the same as So Chic's. I wouldn't be without it for doing shirt sleeves.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 16:53:48 PM »
DH cut me a narrow piece of wood which I padded and covered.  I just slide the sleeve over it and lay it on top of the ironing board.

I reckon I'll ask the handyman to do the same for me, we have an abundance of wood knocking about
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 17:04:10 PM »
I have a Brabantia bought in a half-price sale a few years ago and it's in constant use. If it fell apart tomorrow I'd go out and buy another straight away. But its nice and solid and hopefully should see me out  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 18:49:41 PM »
I have a cheapie one and have used it, BUT I am not convinced and won't spring for a more expensive model.

Clareew

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 20:33:54 PM »
Mine is one that my dad made for my mum in the 1940s, it has been recovered a few times but I wouldn't be without it.

charlotte

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 13:18:25 PM »
I found that conventional sleeve boards are mens'-shirts-sized and not my-arm-sized-sleeve-sized so I ordered some custom cut 30mm thick MDF and made myself one. I'll post a picture when I remember to take one...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 01:50:06 AM »
I don't do many shirt type garments but I love my sleeve board when I do. From the 70's, by Dritz. Also have a ham which I use a lot. A large half dowel padded and covered is nice.  For pant legs or some quilt seams I covered an 8inches by 4 ft. plank of laminate flooring. Mine is pergo, got it as a sample.  ;) Quite useful.

If you use scrap wood it's best to use hardwood as pine or fir the sap can leach out due to heat and steam.

Heck. I just love pressing tools. I do not iron.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bjay

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 15:44:41 PM »
Hi I don't iron, nor do I sew but I do mind my P's and Q's
I also have traditional steam iron which at times i find a bit too big for my needs
Does anyone use a Palm iron? Which makes? Any use?

Suggestions etc......
Trying to find my way on the Dark side