The Sewing Place

Sinclair Harper Cardigan

sewingj

Sinclair Harper Cardigan
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:12:25 AM »
This was my first attempt at a pdf pattern and also my first cardigan (though Husband did insist it is not a cardigan as it isn`t knitted).

I can`t say it has converted me to pdfs.  I didn`t enjoy all the cutting out and sticking together but it was a free pattern!

My first hitch was that I misread the fabric quanitities and didn`t buy enough so this was my second choice.  In my defence I would say that the section listing the quantites is the least clear bit of the whole pattern and I didn`t realise I needed to add 2 amounts together.  I should have known that one metre was never going to be enough for a long sleeved cardigan but I didn`t until the fabric actually arrived!

The seam allowances are only 1/4 inch but I increased them to 5/8 as I don`t have an overlocker.  I was then pleased that I had some extra to play with for the sleeves as they are very narrow - you wouldn`t comfortably fit a long-sleeved top under them.

Overall I am fairly pleased with it but wouldn`t make it again.  The front band is rather wide and is quite high at the back of the neck - you couldn`t wear it over a shirt with a collar

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:14:07 AM by sewingj »

Puzzler

Re: Sinclair Harper Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
That looks lovely and I might get this as I believe it’s a freebie. I don’t mind the high back neck but appreciate knowing about the skimpy sleeves. Pretty fabric too. Husbands....what do they know? ><

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »
If you want it to be a cardigan, it's a cardigan.  And a very pretty one, too!

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 13:58:07 PM »
It's lovely. The funny thing is I saw this pattern online and dismissed it because I wasn't keen on the look. I've just seen yours and thought "oh, I like that - I'll have to try it". It wasn't until I looked up the pattern online that I realised I'd already seen it. Now I'm considering it again. Do you know how much stretch your fabric had?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 14:33:46 PM »
@Kenora   I don`t know if it helps but this is the fabric
https://loubodu-fabric.myshopify.com/collections/new-in/products/autumn-day-print-jersey-light-petrol

it hasn`t got much stretch top to bottom but quite a bit width ways  (a 4 inch strip of fabric will stretch to about 6 inches).

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 14:51:48 PM »
Thanks @sewingj - I already have some fabric which might suit - I'll measure its stretch and see what's possible. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 15:47:46 PM »
Looks great @sewingj.  I might have mentioned the wide neckband on here somewhere.  I don’t have much of a neck and with a rounded back it’s worse.  So I ran a thread through the centre of the neckband at the back and gathered it up.  Worked well and it made it comfy. 

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 17:35:57 PM »
I have this pattern - was intending to send it off to Patternsy for printing along with two others to save myself the assembly faff. Really useful information from you @sewingj , thanks. I hate tight sleeves so will look at that carefully. But I love a high collar.

I agree it's odd the way the fabric requirements are listed - with the sleeves a separate amount. I'm not surprised you were confused (and a little optimistic :)).

Anyway I think yours looks brilliant and can't wait to make one. It's similar to the Blackwood cardi (which I made last year) but apparently a more relaxed fit. I'm not sure why I need two very similar cardigan patterns - guess I just can't help it 0_0.