The Sewing Place

Shawl I'm starting - with UK yarn :)

LeilaMay

Shawl I'm starting - with UK yarn :)
« on: February 09, 2020, 13:37:25 PM »
Have been wanting to knit a shawl called "Lithia" from Ravelry
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lithia-2019-rcyc-mkal

- not sure if links to other forums is allowed?

And I've found a really nice yarn suppliers in Devon called Lilypond yarns. 2 ladies, and the stuff they're dyeing is gorgeous. They have an Etsy shop and I'd recommend them if you're uk and looking for something nice.

Efemera

Re: Shawl I'm starting - with UK yarn :)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 15:34:18 PM »
That’s very nice...look forward to seeing your progress.

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 17:38:02 PM »
 :loveit: I wish I had the skill and attention span. Nice that you are using local yarn.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
That looks lovely can we see your progress

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 16:08:12 PM »
I'll have a bash in a minute  :)

The mistakes I've made have generally been when starting a new pattern section. They change often, and so you're doing a different set-up row again - then it's easy to get muddled.
The pattern is not written as I'm used to either. It's not wrong, just different, and hard to get a handle on, abbreviations are different too. I'd also have appreciated stitch count more often than at the end of a section (sometimes 14 rows) When you're increasing often it would be helpful to be easily able to check progress. (I did it with a bit of paper and counting on my fingers, but they could have made it easier)

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 16:15:41 PM »
Let's see if this works - not yet blocked of course, so just a idea . . .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 16:51:58 PM »
Absolutely beautiful knitting. All I can do is admire.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 16:52:42 PM »
Wow that looks stunning, I am ok with Fairisle and most other knitting techniques, I can manage really simple lace but get muddled up with too many increases etc and end up unpicking it, I really must try harder yours has inspired me.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 17:27:51 PM »
Thank you!
I will say it has had me muddled a few times, and I have unpicked a section. But knitting is my main textile hobby and I've been knitting about 50 years, so I'll always tackle something. Just 1 stitch at a time :)

I did just master brioche stitch, (thought I'd start with a small project to learn on) and a brioche shawl may follow, but the cowl I thought I'd work in it has been unpicked. I just wouldn't wear it, so I'd rather use the yarn for something else.

Celia

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 19:36:41 PM »
This is my latest thing, I am like you Knitting is my main hobby too

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 21:29:19 PM »
Oh they are lovely!

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 21:56:27 PM »
Beautiful work @LeilaMay and what beautiful yarn. You should be very proud.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 22:13:23 PM »
That’s beautiful...

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 08:42:40 AM »
That's fabulous knitting @LeilaMay I'd like to knit something like that from the knitting challenge point of view but I'd never wear a shawl and don't know anyone who would.
When I did a Shetjland  lace scarf  (as yet uncompleted because I need to graft an end on) I found it very useful to count the stitches of each pattern repeat on every reverse (non pattern) row.  It was easy to pick up a loop if I'd forgotten a yarn over in the pattern row of drop one if I'd done it in the wrong place, or made any other mistakes in the pattern row.  That was much easier than getting a couple of rows on and finding things had gone haywire then having to unpick.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:12 AM »
I too think I might not wear a shawl but I think a scarf might be good, @Ploshkin  love the tip about counting on the reverse rows must look at my patterns I do have a couple of books about Shetland lace as it was what I wanted to try to get to grips with before I fell into the Fair Isle trap.