The Sewing Place

OMG How not to do it!

Ploshkin

Re: OMG How not to do it!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Many of us have something about which we are well informed and are incensed when it is wrongly portrayed on the tv, in magazines, in advertising etc.  Every beekeeper I know cringed or shouted at the telly when Martha Kearney did her programme about keeping bees.  DH rants at the tv because a vehicle is 1969 and the film is set in the 1950s.  It's hard to accept that it matters diddly squat to 99.9% of the population. 
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
DH rants at the tv because a vehicle is 1969 and the film is set in the 1950s.  It's hard to accept that it matters diddly squat to 99.9% of the population.
Yes my DH does that too.

@Iminei A croupier :D What an interesting life you've had  and will continue to, of course)

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 13:23:03 PM »
@Ploshkin  my farmer husband shouts when there are tramlines in fields and ear tags in animals in dramas set in the "olden days"

So Chic

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 13:25:28 PM »
I find the same in books when the research hasn't been done thoroughly.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sewbusy

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 14:01:13 PM »
Oh dear, nothing sewing related but these arouse the same ire. Call The Midwife, Holby, Casualty....... then again that's probably why I watch them.

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 14:12:44 PM »
@Ploshkin  my farmer husband shouts when there are tramlines in fields and ear tags in animals in dramas set in the "olden days"
Many years ago we had a family trip to the cinema to watch 'Gladiator'. The opening sequence shows Russell Crowe walking through an arable field, trailing his fingers through the crop.

I hissed at DH, "Tramlines!" and he hissed back, "Six-row barley!"

We enjoyed the film nonetheless.

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 14:15:49 PM »
Last night DH and I watched the Agatha Christie borefest drama that was written - and I believe set - in 1961.  When one of the characters talked about a 'scam' we looked at each other in slight disbelief. I bingled the word and it seems that the first recorded use of it was in 1963. So there scriptwriter 8)

And I was even more peed off when I realised that I had totally forgotten about Endeavour and hadn't even put it on 'record' Grrrrr
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 14:17:41 PM by FloBear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 15:15:58 PM »
@FloBear , it was pretty grim wasn't it?  The book wasn't one of her better ones, but this treatment has not improved it.

I too, wish I had watched Endeavour.  Still I can get it on Catch up.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 15:28:34 PM »
Make sure you watch yesterday's Endeavour before you watch next week's episode!   ;)

I find that with Endeavour I'm forever saying 'Surely they didn't have/say/do that then?'  I am, however, always wrong.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 16:33:15 PM »
I gave the Christie a miss when I realised who had done the adaptation.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 16:46:20 PM »
I gave the Christie a miss when I realised who had done the adaptation.

Me too @Sewingsue.  I think we watched one of the previous ones and I wouldn’t watch any more. 

snoozi soozi

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 17:18:18 PM »
Luckily I recorded both Endeavour and the Agatha Christie doodah, so I can catch up with them this week. I had high hopes for the AC though...  >:)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:02 AM »
In almost every Netflix made show aimed at the under 30 crowd, no matter the time period, I wait for the obligatory let's do this!  to be exclaimed.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
Who did do the adaptation?  I'll look out for them in future...

I watched Endeavour on catch-up, my mind wasn't altogether concentrating though.

I've been enjoying Life on Mars lately.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 22:55:46 PM »
She's sitting behind the machine, isn't she?  :S What I mean is, she should be sitting at the machine on the same side as the workings and dials

I've seen similar pictures of lacemakers "working" at their lace pillow from behind.

I couldn't find the real howler that Iknow I've seen, but this one is from a time when a lot more people would have known how a lace pillow was used.

Here's one for the darksiders - and any other lurking lacemakers.  I'd love to see the lace made from this pattern!
https://www.123rf.com/photo_11086349_pillow-lace-pattern-with-texture-in-thailand.html
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.