The Sewing Place

Another newbie here from TSF!

elisep

Another newbie here from TSF!
« on: May 02, 2017, 13:20:10 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm so happy to have found TSP! I'm another from TSF, and have missed it terribly since it went down. Such a shame that all that wealth of information has been lost.
Anyway, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and have been sewing for a few years now. I mostly make clothes for myself, but I love making costumes, and enjoy making the odd quilt here and there. One day I would like to make a business out of sewing, but I've a long way to go before I get there.
I look forward to getting to know you all!

Elise
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Vegegrow

Re: Another newbie here from TSF!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 13:25:58 PM »
Welcome Elisep another familiar name  from the old place .. happy you have found us .. we have been busy making ourselves at home grab a  :drink: and have a wander round  0_0
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 13:38:50 PM »
Hi there Elise!  Have you got a brew? Pull up a chair, we've got lots of old friends here!

Cake?

:cake:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 15:21:10 PM »
Welcome Elisep .... pleased that you found us! Have fun catching up on all the threads!

Lantana  :vintage:

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 16:10:05 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

I recall the name but I'm wondering about the reference to costumes. What sort of costumes do you make?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 20:33:29 PM »
Welcome Elisep from the former Enthusiast.  I think I remember you.  Didn't you start a new job and made what I thought some rather nice workwear?

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
Welcome from me too  :drink:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
Hi and welcome in from me too. Are you a dance costume maker?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

elisep

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 13:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome all  :loveit:

Not a dance costume maker, just like making fancy dress costumes for myself and friends! At one point I did want to study costume design, however when I really thought about it, the reason I wanted to study costume was for the skills, not for the career path. So I decided I'll just work on building my skill set through short courses. It'll take longer, but I'll be happier! Eventually, my dream is to be able to have my own business making bespoke riding clothes & side saddle outfits. Time will tell if I ever get good enough!

I remember you Enthusiast, and yes! One of my first posts on TSF was when I started my first office type job where I didn't have a uniform to wear, and had to make quite a few work appropriate outfits pretty quickly! I still have all of those, though sadly most of them are too small now as I became a victim of the "office spread"  :( but I've continued making my work wear and now have far too many clothes!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 13:31:54 PM »
I started my first office type job where I didn't have a uniform to wear, and had to make quite a few work appropriate outfits pretty quickly! I still have all of those, though sadly most of them are too small now as I became a victim of the "office spread"

I know all about that type of spread.  I no longer work and spend much too long sitting on my butt.  0_0

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 21:05:55 PM »
Welcome from another old TSF member and fellow "Melbourne-ite"  :D.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 22:06:54 PM »
Welcome from me too.