The Sewing Place

No emails when "mentioned"

Acorn

Re: No emails when "mentioned"
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 18:48:00 PM »
It has to be a coincidence when there is no possible connection between the two events.  Lots of things happened on the 5th.  Almost none of them had anything to do with the forum being closed.  I'm afraid I do actually know what I'm talking about.

To clarify yet again.  The emails are being sent out, just as they were before the 5th.  We have no control over what happens to them once they've left here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 18:49:58 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 18:58:33 PM »
Maybe go onto your profile and reset the email option???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 19:35:32 PM »
Just to add to the mix, I haven't received any either, although there have been some. I use Chrome and nothing has changed.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 21:01:45 PM »
You are also using the same email provider as most of the others with problems, @Greybird

You could try changing the email address in your profile if you have another one with a different provider, but the odds are that things will be sorted out by whatever is causing the problem before too long, and they will start getting through again.

Like @Helen M  I am with BT and find this happens mysteriously and gets sorted out after a few days, here and with other forums.  There really is nothing we can do other than wait.

The emails leave the forum (I have checked the error logs, and there is nothing there relating to this).  It is down to the ISPs and service providers once they have left us.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 21:03:16 PM by Acorn »

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 21:05:45 PM »
There! I just got one!

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 21:07:23 PM »
Hah - do you think they were reading this? 

I was about to add that looking at the SMF support forum (and other support forums) it seems that gmail is generally the worst - but far from the only - offender for this, and other forums have recently had issues with gmail emails. 

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 21:47:57 PM »
I've got mail!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 22:37:19 PM »
The beekeeping association I belong too has a circulation list of members.  We constantly have problems with group e mails bouncing back from BT e mail addresses.  It hasn't been too bad for a while but a year or so back there were about 15 members who did not receive e mails fir several months, all with BT.  It just resolved itself but recently there has been an odd  one here and there.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 23:31:28 PM »
The whole email says No Sender and if I try to look to see who it is from it just says  other and no details it did used to say The sewing place, no real problem to me but just thought it might help with the problem. The last one with the address was last Tuesday.

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
In work I regularly send out emails to my team. One girl in the group only gets them when someone else from the group opens theirs and replies!  :S I just phone her now to tell her to read someone else's instructions.  :ninja:

Don't have this nonsense with pempsils and paper!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
I did find a suggestion that if it carries on for a long time with a large group of members (and I guess gmail users is probably quite a large group) then changing the wording of the email might help, as they won't then be identical to automated emails from all the other SMF forums.

If we get to that point I will try it, although I'm not convinced it would help with 'mentions' emails because they have quite a variation in wording - username, other username, thread name and link (although automated emails with links are generally viewed with suspicion by the PTB in the ether anyway).  However, the structure is the same, and that may be enough.

It is all about preventing spam, and the approach does seem to be overkill followed by refining things a bit.

Celia

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
The whole email says No Sender and if I try to look to see who it is from it just says  other and no details it did used to say The sewing place, no real problem to me but just thought it might help with the problem. The last one with the address was last Tuesday.

The address is back this morning ??

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »
That is weird!   ><  Good though - one less thing to worry about! 

Celia

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
Do you think the internet goods read our thread :P

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 15:15:08 PM »
And lo and behold, mine is also working again - not that I did anything to my gmail.