The Sewing Place

No emails when "mentioned"

sewingj

No emails when "mentioned"
« on: February 10, 2020, 13:19:12 PM »
Until recently I would get an email if I was "mentioned" in a post but that seems to have stopped.  I am still getting a little notification at the top of the main forum page.

As far as I am aware I haven`t changed any of my settings.  Can anyone assist please?

PS  I have checked and they are not going into my Spam folder

Acorn

Re: No emails when "mentioned"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 13:28:44 PM »
I'm afraid that once the emails leave the forum we have no control over them.

The odds are that your ISP (or somewhere else along your email's route) is blocking it because it detects that it is an automated email.  This is one of those things that ISPs do in order to reduce spam, but unfortunately there is quite a lot of collateral damage.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 13:32:28 PM »
thanks Acorn.  It`s not a big deal- it just seemed a bit odd that it had happened so recently.  I wondered if it was to do with the Forum being down last week

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 13:32:35 PM »
I don't think I've had any emails for the last few days, either notifications of mentions or topic replies recently.

@Acorn Just checked, I've had no emails since 5th Feb, which was the (failed) migration day.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 13:34:16 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Celia

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 13:39:25 PM »
I still get them but it says there is no sender?? Not sure if this will help find out why

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 13:39:38 PM »
Same here, @sewingj and @Bodgeitandscarper .  No emails since the 5th.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 14:04:44 PM »
Absolutely no connection with the failed migration - nothing was changed, all the work done was done offline and detached from the forum.  The forum only needed to be closed so that nobody could add posts after the files and database had been copied.

It does suggest that some server somewhere decided on the 5th that these automated emails should be stopped.  With luck they've only done it temporarily.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 14:07:49 PM by Acorn »

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 14:15:09 PM »
I still get them but it says there is no sender?? Not sure if this will help find out why

Is that in the message body or subject line?  If it's not it's probably a setting in your email client or account.

@sewingj @Bodgeitandscarper @b15erk You are all using the same email provider, so it's not surprising any change would have affected you all at the same time.  If you have another email address, with a different provider, it's worth seeing if changing it makes them come through again.  (Of course the new provider might also be blocking automated emails.)

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 14:28:42 PM »
Mine always go to my junk folder, have continued to do so since the 5th.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 14:30:45 PM »
My @mentioned email notification has stopped too.  The last one I had was 4 February.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 14:38:09 PM »
Mine are hit and miss and have always been that way, I blame my ISP (BT). All of a sudden they appear for a day or so then nothing. I sometimes forget to look at the top of the forum as well!

Similar reply emails from another forum which I'd had for years suddenly stopped and were not in 'spam' so I had to change that contact to my other email and they came to the 2nd one okay. 
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 15:30:06 PM »
So why would I now not get the emails when I was doing before the 5th?  Nothing has changed at my end, it must be to do with the attempted change of the forum.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 15:44:18 PM »
I'm afraid that once the emails leave the forum we have no control over them.

The odds are that your ISP (or somewhere else along your email's route) is blocking it because it detects that it is an automated email.  This is one of those things that ISPs do in order to reduce spam, but unfortunately there is quite a lot of collateral damage.

I repeat, there is no way that closing the forum could have had any effect on your receiving emails.

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 16:22:54 PM »
So why would I now not get the emails when I was doing before the 5th?  Nothing has changed at my end, it must be to do with the attempted change of the forum.

Not necessarily as over the past year, at least, mine have been intermittent to say the least, most often I don't get any. I'd say it's your ISP, for whatever reason. Mine is most choosy!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 18:37:14 PM »
Such a coincidence though isn't it? 

I'm not a huge believer in coincidences.

I'll do without emails then.