The Sewing Place

Needle threaders

wombat

Needle threaders
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
I’m looking for options to help me thread embroidery sewing needles with a couple of strands of floss.

I use the normal wire device for sewing thread.

Has anyone used the little machine type devices? 

A search of the forum shows very mixed results for the self threading needles probably best for quilt makers.

Thanks

So Chic

Re: Needle threaders
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 14:54:13 PM »
I have one of little machine type threaders and it's a bit hit or miss trying to thread needles so I end up going back to the wire type.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 15:08:57 PM »
I've found that too, @So Chic .  I've yet to manage to thread any needle with it!

I bought a few dozen of the little wire ones so that I always have one available.

My sewing machine has a rudimentary needle threader (it's an old machine), but it works well for me.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 16:31:44 PM »
I love the machine threaders.  There is a bit of a knack to using it but once you’ve got it they’re wonderful. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 17:30:59 PM »
I got one of these ages ago, but mine had no instructions and I still haven't worked out how to use it.  I'm not actually sure where it is either...
I've just spotted another interesting looking one...
Edit: that's just a wire loop type but with a light, disappointing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 17:33:09 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 17:37:40 PM »
@wombat Would one of these work for embroidery thread?  I though the hook bits might do it as I presume the wire loop would be too weak for embroidery threads?

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 17:58:57 PM »
@wombat the one that @Bodgeitandscarper recommends is worth a try. I have a very old one and use it when I’m weaving in ends of knitting yarn.

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »
Hello Wombat, I know exactly what you are looking for, and the needle threader for embroidery needles is by Lo Ran and this is a flat piece of metal with a larger flat  hook one end for thicker threads, and a small flat  hook the other end for embroidery floss and for fitting in the embroidery needle eye, the whole thing is about 5cm long.  I have a few scattered around which is so useful, and I still have one piece of card that it came on.  This was called Needleworker's Accessory Kit and consisted of a needle threader, a magnetic needle minder, and a magnetic needle case, there is also a price still on and this was £3.95, but it is years old.  I do remember buying some of these and they were just the needle threader - nothing else.

I keep one handy in my sewing cabinet and use this needle threader when I am finishing off overlocker threads and pulling these through the sewn overlock stitches as there are usually three threads that need to be threaded through a larger needle eye.