The Sewing Place

Trouble pressing silk/wool blend

elisep

Trouble pressing silk/wool blend
« on: May 02, 2017, 13:33:40 PM »
Hi all,
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting a seams to stay pressed in an unruly fabric? I've just made up a softly structured blazer (Butterick 5928) in what I was told was a silk/wool blend. I bought it at a warehouse sale, so can only go on the seller's word, and no idea what the various percentages are. It's a light suiting weight, gorgeous fabric and very silky. I just can't get the seams to stay pressed, they keep softening. The hem particularly is a nightmare. It's not a standard jacket hem, I think it's what they call a bagged hem? and it just won't stay neatly pressed. In my experience silk and wool normally press very nicely... maybe it's actually a polyester blend? I should do a burn test.
Any ideas? Spray starch maybe? I've never had to use anything like that before. Help!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Fabric Lover

Re: Trouble pressing silk/wool blend
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 15:03:54 PM »
I think I would try topstitching down the seamline either with both seam allowances stitched down in that side or laid open and twin lines of topstitching either side of the seamline.

Hope that helps.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 19:43:38 PM »
I would say it isn't silk and wool.  I would be pretty annoyed at being fobbed off with what appears to be mostly polyester.
Something  I wouldn't normally suggest.....could you use something like steam a seam to fuse it before finishing off?

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 22:22:38 PM »
A clapper should do it
C'est moi!

elisep

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 14:10:49 PM »
Thanks all. Unfortunately it's completely finished so I can't use steam a seam. I'd prefer not to topstitch - I don't really think it will look very good on the vertical seams, but if I can't get a clapper to work I'll do that for the collar and hem.
I don't own a clapper at present but I've been needing one for ages... just a good excuse to go and buy one  0_0 of course I can't wear it till the seams look good!
I need to go for a hunt for some leftover fabric - I'm sure I had some - to do a burn test. That should remove any doubts about the content!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 15:32:11 PM »
I have used a [new] scrubbing brush, wrapped in a tea towel to protect my hands from bristles, instead of a real clapper.  Worked well!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 15:42:04 PM »
'Professional' finishing at a drycleaners?

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 13:31:36 PM »
Could you invisibly hand stitch the seam allowances/ hem allowance down? A lot of work but I find it works quite nicely. I did this on the sleeve seams of my jacket where I couldn't get in to top stitch.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 16:07:46 PM »
A clapper should do it

Just what I was going to suggest.

Failing that, you may need to redo the hem and catchstitch it to the main body and then sew the lining by hand.