The Sewing Place

Pauline Alice Quart Coat

UttaRetch

Re: Pauline Alice Quart Coat
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
I'll be referring to my copy of the Singer tailoring book when the time comes for my next coat.  Incidentally, I unwittingly have two of these since it was published by another company with a different cover.  :facepalm:

b15erk

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
I wonder if it's the same book @UttaRetch ?  I got mine from Amazon, from a recommendation by Sigrid.  It's published by McCalls, but no particular author.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lovely clear pictures, and saves me having to stop work to locate a technique via Google!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
I've made coats that I think are great and perfectly wearable, and I'd never even heard of things like pad stitching til I read it here and I still don't really know what it is, but do know it'll be far too much faff for me  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 13:19:14 PM »
Yes that’s the same book.  It went out of print for a while and was fetching huge prices.  Nice clear photos and very useful.  I’m know  there are other, far more complicated books out there but for the average person I think this one is really good.   

b15erk

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
No sewing on Saturday as we had to return the doggies to DD, but it left Sunday free, and I managed a good few hours in the sewing room, where I felt that a lot of progress was made.

Coat and lining construction is now just waiting for the sleeves to be put in, and the collar added.

Sleeves, I'm a bit concerned about as they seem very long, and very wide.  So, before I go any further, I'll have to check them against another coat I wear regularly.  I'm also unsure of the lining.  When I've made previous lined projects, I've always cut the sleeve lining shorter, but this is the same length.  I think it may be because the sleeves have zips on, which I'm not doing, so I may need to adjust.  I'll be checking the width as well.

The collar seems straightforward, so maybe this week will see the coat finished. 

I do need to look for buttons though, I thought I had some, but they look too purple.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Still no further on with this, I've been a bit tired and stressed.

However, work hasn't entirely stopped, I ordered buttons, which I hope will look as nice when I receive them, as they did in the photograph!  I've also just taken delivery of 5 plastic boot boxes (thanks @Elnnina ), to hold my larger projects.

Hopefully I'll feel something like, when I finish work, and can spend a few minutes basting the collar on.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »
OK, fast forward a few months, and last night I managed to finish this coat.

I really like it.  It fits well, and is very warm, but not sure how hard wearing it will be, because of the loose weave of the fabric.  I did seem to lose interest a few months ago - don't know why, but it is now finished - apart from one button!  Yes, I managed to lose one...  I have another set coming from Amazon, but not sure if they are exactly the same.

This isn't a difficult pattern, I just wanted it to be 'proper', so it's taken a while.  The inside interfacings etc took ages, but totally worth it, as the coat hangs really well, and is incredibly heavy and warm.

Not sure when I'll get to wear it under the current restrictions, but thinking maybe Christmas ... ?

Pictures are pretty poor - I'm a lousy photographer.  :S

Jessie

Efemera

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »
Looks lovely...

annieeg

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
Lovely make Jessie :thumbsup: :loveit:
Looks really comfortable but smart at the same time.

Greybird

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2020, 12:51:41 PM »
Jessie that's lovely! You should be really proud of it.

Nevis5

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »
Oh @b15erk  that's fabulous! I've always hankered after that coat pattern, I love the pleated sides but didn't get it when it was available in print and I refuse to buy PDF patterns (hate them).  Also I'm very busty so double breasted doesn't suit me.  However, it looks brilliant on you xxx

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2020, 13:14:34 PM »
Looks great!  Well done. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2020, 13:44:14 PM »
That looks great  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2020, 13:48:20 PM »
That looks lovely, I really like those pleats.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2020, 13:50:03 PM »
Very nice Jessie, good job  :thumb:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew