The Sewing Place

Footstool cover

Bodgeitandscarper

Footstool cover
« on: February 11, 2020, 17:22:29 PM »
I'm making a cover for a footstool that I'm giving to my daughter.  Lovely fabric, embellished stretch cotton (very short pile) velvet.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It fits nicely, but I can't decide what to do with the seam allowance around the top - should I overlock it, therefore trimming it narrow?  I think that would probably be best, any other thoughts?  The seam allowance needs to go down the sides, and I did wonder about overlocking (without trimming/ losing any width) each edge  and then topstitching just the side fabric down onto itself and leaving the top circle to find it's own way down?  I do rather like the no stitching showing around the seams though...

coffeeandcake

Re: Footstool cover
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 06:20:26 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I recovered a long footstool last year to match some bedroom curtains and I just left the top seam allowance unfinished.  This was because I messed up my measurements and didn't have enough seam allowance left to finish :S  If I'd had enough SA I had planned to overlock once I snipped into the allowance. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »
I plumped for overlocking the seam allowance, it seems fine.

Postiepants has just been, and brought me a box - a veritable cornucopia of greenness, and not one matches my fabric  :S

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
 -<  That's amazing... and it's not as though your green is an unusual colour.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
I LOVE GREEN! ALL GREEN, EVERY GREEN.

I'd have it everywhere.  <3

Just sayin'.  0_0

Lowe's far away right?!?!?!  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
@wrenkins I think we're safe, Lowena is away in some strange remote foreign parts isn't she?  0_0

@Acorn It is a slightly odder green than it looks in the pics perhaps - it has a yellowy tinge to it, rather than the perhaps more common blue tinge.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
Because it's made up of mostly yellow and blue it can be a booger to match.

Good luck!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »
I'm hoping there will be something suitable in Gutterman ...

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:14:08 AM »
Will the overlocking be visible @Bodgeitandscarper ?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 11:16:33 AM »
@Ellabella I've done the overlocking already, that's hidden.  I just need some thread that's a better match for the hem.  I don't do blind hemming  :[ :S
Also the hem edge is stretchy, so hand stitching could easily be snapped when the cover is taken off or put on.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:19:08 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper your problem matching green thread is no surprise.  It’s the one colour I always had problems matching for people at work.  There are so many different ones.  I probably have a bout 2 dozen or more different green machine embroidery threads and they always give me a headache choosing. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Will the hem be visible or will it be tucked underneath? 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
Unfortunately, it will be visible...