The Sewing Place

A question about velvet pile direction

Bodgeitandscarper

A question about velvet pile direction
« on: February 11, 2020, 19:01:18 PM »
A little while ago, I made three tops in polyster velvet type fabric.  Now, I though about the direction of the pile, and decided it need to be smooth when you stroked your hand down it. 
This seemed fine, until I wore one under a coat.  The top crawled up inside the coat, presumably cos the pile was sticking to the coat lining (a smooth nylon type stuff in a padded coat), and I've not worn one since.

Did I make them with the pile the wrong way?  I though if it was the other way, then any bits of fluff etc would always be sticking to it. 
Which way would you have the pile?

Efemera

Re: A question about velvet pile direction
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 19:36:48 PM »
I would do it the same...pile going down.

Lizzy777

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 19:40:06 PM »
Wonder if static was the problem in this case? You can buy an anti static spray which would help perhaps?

The pile was going in the right direction.i.e downwards. :)

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 21:36:40 PM »
I had a similar problem with a poly velvet dress at the weekend.  The pile runs downwards which is usually thought of as being the correct way, but I felt that the skirt had no weight and was riding up all the time.  I think it's just the nature of stretch velvet.  Good old fashioned woven cotton velvet doesn't do tht but it is much more difficult to keep from marking.  Polyester bounces back much more readily.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
I think it depends on personal preference really.  I prefer to have the pile going downwards as I can't bear the feel of the velvet going the other way.  The fabric will also have a slightly different colour, depending on which way the nap is lying and you may prefer one over the other.

It is likely that static was the problem; trying rubbing it over with tumbledryer sheet.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
Ah, perhaps it may have been static - I'm always charged up!  I have to hold on to the metal door handle before I get off my sewing chair, otherwise I get I get shocks off the dogs or t'Other Half!

I'd looked at anti-static sprays, but they're not cheap on Amazon, then just had a brain wave about getting tumble dryer sheets, then I saw your reply @Missie - great minds think alike.

Thank you, everyone for your thoughts  0_0

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
I was taught 'pile up' with velvet, was never explained why though.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lizzy777

Missie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 16:20:57 PM »

@Ploshkin  but what happens when you smooth your clothes and swipe down *shudder*

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 17:49:32 PM »

That's what I was told, too. It does seem counter-intuitive.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 19:13:17 PM »
I would presume "pile up" is because that really gives a depth of colour

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 19:52:48 PM »
My mum taught me "pile up" - something to do with the pile not being squashed when you sat on it! But I did that with a top I made at Christmas and now wish I hadn't because it feels horrible when you run your hand down it!