The Sewing Place

Knot front tunic

datcat23

Knot front tunic
« on: February 11, 2020, 21:58:20 PM »
Morning all.  January was a bit of a bust for me, in the sewing department.  I do so much prior to xmas, that I get a bit burnt out over xmas.  So I focussed on other things, and gave myself a break.

Aside from some little things, this was my first foray back into sewing for the year. 

KwikSew 3707 - XL with modifications - in poplin and a self stripe cotton.

I made this tunic quite a few years ago, and it was a comical thing.  It hung off me like a sack, and looked appalling.  I thrifted the finished top, and stuffed the pattern back into the file.  This year, I decided to give it another go, because I like the cross over aspect, and wanted some crisp looking tunics for work.  I assume my previous failure was because I need to make petite alterations to the pattern. 

The first version was basically my toile, in a cotton poplin.  For this one, I took 1inch off the shoulders (shortening the bodice), and shortened the front skirt and back by 2inches at the lengthen/shorten line.  On the dress form, it looks fine, but on me, you can see that the bodice doesn't sit well, and the neckline is bobbly. 

Kwiksew tunic by Dani, on Flickr

So, for the next version, I did an FBA.  Its not so much for the width, as the bodice was wide enough, but just a structure choice, to encourage the bodice to wrap around the bust, and under the arms. The dart encourages the bodice to turn at the bust apex, rather than pulling the point of the bust flat.  We think that fabric is flexible, but in reality, sometimes we need structural features to make it behave better. 

D'oh (forehead slapping moment) .... I did however, forget to take the 2inches off the length, so its too long.  That is easily fixed though. 

BigGirl decided to throw her timing, thankfully after I had finished the top, so she has gone to sewing machine hospital for a service.  So I won't be able to finish shortening the top, or make any more for while, but oh well, we will get there. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Lachica

Re: Knot front tunic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »
The blue one fits well @datcat23  I'd have thought that pattern was designed for knits, but I can see it works well in fine lawn. I've just bought a fine rayon/cotton for a hot-weather top, I can now consider a top in this style.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
The blue one is certainly a much better fit.  I don't have any issues with crossover tops - I simply avoid them  :)  Is that cheating?
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 16:41:30 PM »
Blue one is definitely better.  Looks good. 

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:43:13 AM »
Such a pretty blue!  The fit is lots better in that one @datcat23  .  I really ought to try and fit a wrap top round my lumpy bumpy bod again, they look so good on everyone else but I really struggle with them....

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »
The blue one looks lovely @datcat23 .

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.