The Sewing Place

Newbie pops in

Gittje

Newbie pops in
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
Hello forum members

I live in Bruges and own 1 dog and 2 cats. I retired after a severe burn-out and still have some concentration and memory problems.

I finally decided to join this forum although I am a complete beginner in sewing. My husband follows sewing courses, but I don't as I want to learn at my own pace and not too much in one time and have other hobbies too (reading, walking with the dog and watching documentaries).

English is not my mother tongue, so I am sure you'll find mistakes in my posts. But as I am a beginner I can't learn you much, so I suppose I won't post on regular basis except perhaps for the field sewing machines and books.

Have a nice day

Brigitte

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:47:50 AM by Acorn »

Iminei

Re: Newbie pops in
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
Welcome to the sewing place @Gittje 

We're very friendly, very chatty and I promise you we dont bite!

Im sure you'll find something in here to inspire yourself!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
Welcome Brigitte!

Please do post - we have lots of beginners, and we were all beginners ourselves once.  We love to see people getting enthused!  Your English is excellent, by the way.

I have had to remove your link because the membership agreement says new members shouldn't post links until they've been members for 2 weeks and made 25 posts.  Nothing wrong with it, we just have to apply the rule to everyone or life gets too complicated. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:51:41 AM by Iminei »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gittje

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »
Thank you ladies.

I can understand you deleted the link of our tourist office  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 09:55:29 AM »
A big welcome from me too!  I look forward to seeing your sewing progress, and hoping you join in the chat - we don't always talk about sewing.

Grab a seat and a  :drink: and make yourself at home!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gittje

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »
Keep in mind I am turtle when it comes to sewing.

For the moment I managed my fear to work with a computerised sewing machine, but I am facing my inclination to perfection that causes me trouble and holds me back.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
Welcome, Brigitte.
Your English is good, I would never attempt to post on a forum in another language.
We love hearing about other lives in other places and there are plenty of people ready to answer questions about sewing (and probably a lot of other things as well).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
Hi Brigitte - a big welcome from me too. There's nothing wrong with striving for perfection as long as you understand it's unlikely to happen. :) Maybe strive for excellence instead - it's more achievable. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
@Gittje welcome, we - probably not me - will help you with all your newbie questions
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Wychall

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »
Hi Bridget @Gittje A lot of us on here can relate to the burn out situation. I myself have been on extended sick leave for the last 6 months and am expecting to terminate my employment any day now. It makes a lot of things very difficult but you should take your time and strive for enjoyment.
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
Hi @Gittje and a welcome from me too! You live in a lovely place although it's a long time since I was in Bruges. Are there any nice fabric shops? There is a thread somewhere that we post any we come across on our travels so maybe you could let us know.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »
Hello, and welcome from me too.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
Welcome @Gittje , this place has something for everyone.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
Welcome, @Gittje  from me, too  :toast: :toast:  Bruges is so beautiful, what a fabulous place to live.   Please come back soon and let us know what you're up to. x

Gittje

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 13:45:48 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome on this forum.

A few years ago I intented to join my husband in his new hobby as a form of encouragement for him and for me to learn a skill you still can do at an older age. But my learning curve is very slow. I must confess sometimes I doubt if I will ever learn it. I certainly want to try...