The Sewing Place

Hand sewing needles recommendation please

sewingj

Hand sewing needles recommendation please
« on: February 12, 2020, 19:02:24 PM »
I have got dozens of needles.  I don`t even know where most of them have come from - I think I inherited lots of them from my Mum.  And I don`t like any of them!  I`ve been doing a bit of sewing this evening and have given up because the needle I was using it so sharp at the eye end that it was hurting my fingers  (I can`t sew with a thimble).

So I`ve decided to have a mass clear out and buy some decent ones.  But I don`t know what I`m looking for.  I prefer to sew with  quite a long needle.  And even if the needle itself it fine, I can`t cope  with a tiny eye!

Point me in the right direction please

Kad

Re: Hand sewing needles recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 19:32:14 PM »
@sewingj   I 'upgraded' my handsewing needles a couple of years ago and found a good selection and reasonable prices on the John James website:  jjneedles.com. I bought together with a friend so we placed a decent order and delivery was good too.

ATM, if you download the useful "sewing needle guide ' leaflet there's a code for 25% discount on page 3 too :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:08 AM »
Thanks @Kad - especially for the tip off about the discount.  John James is actually not far from me but I don`t think they have a factory shop
Incidentally if anyone is in the Redditch area,, this is worth a visit:-

https://www.forgemill.org.uk/web/

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:58:38 AM »
I’m going to chuck out all the old crappy needles and buy some new shiny ones!

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »
I'm another John James user.  Although I tend to buy 1000 at a time...partly because of the shipping to the US and partly because I am the world's worst at losing my needles.

Just keep in mind, hand sewing needles are like machine needles and need to be replaced as well.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »
For fine sewing I like Clover Black Gold needles.

For hand qulting and anythng else that needs a longer needle I like EZ Gold Eye needles, these are pretty sturdy.

I haven't used them, but Tulip brand needles from Japan are often recommended.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
@BrendaP Tulip needles are on my wish list!   Bit pricey but don’t care if they’re really good.  I’m just getting rid of a load.  I haven’t used the Bohin needles I bought recently.  Might try them today and see how they compare. 

Mick

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 21:23:49 PM »
Going to confess here that when I first started sewing (not that long ago), I bought a huge pack of "budget" needles, with every size you can imagine in it, from tiny up to some that you could use to harpoon a whale.
Cost about a quid or so for the whole lot, from Lidl or Netto, or somewhere.

Not knowing any better, I'd managed with them ever since.

But then, after reading this thread, I did wonder about trying some quality.
So, following the recommendations here,  sent for a small spectrum of "sharps" from John James.
Needles by Mick, on Flickr

For something that's basically just a sharpened bit of metal, the difference is really quite surprising.
Still trying to work out which size is actually best for which job, but can honestly say that hand sewing is now a pleasure instead of a chore.

So thank you ladies for the good advice.  :loveit:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 21:54:37 PM »
Wow @Mick that’s a lot of needles.   :). Small tip if I may.  As I’m getting older I find embroidery needles better than sharps.  Still sharp but longer eye which are easier to thread.  :)
Enjoy the hand sewing. 

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 22:01:25 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  after starting this thread I got some embroidery needles from John James - mainly because of the larger eye and I'm very pleased with them

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
Which pack exactly did you get @sewingj ? There seems to be a bewilderingly large selection in the embroidery section of the JJ site and I'd prefer to go by recommendation.

Im another who's decided to replace my ancient needles. :|

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »
@Vezelay   I went for the size 5 and size 7 as I wanted something fairly long but fine. I think I will mainly use the 7s.
John James "sewing needle guide' on the website is very helpful and, as Kad pointed out, on page 3 there is a code for 25% discount

crfrench

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:26 PM »
I am French, so I don't know English needles. My (far ahead) favourite ones are French Bohin needles. I use mostly 11, 10 and 8 with Mettler thread, sometimes from 3 to 8 when needed.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 13:12:45 PM »
@crfrench I’ve recently bought some of those after finding some good reviews about them. 
I haven’t used them yet but hope they’re good. 

BriarRose

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 17:54:53 PM »
Another John James fan here. I have a carefully hoarded stash of my favorite sizes for embroidery, though I've seen other sizes in local quilting shops. They're one of the only brands that I don't bend into an arc while I'm stitching.

Some time ago a member of my local EGA chapter bought a huge lot of Boyle needles online for what we should've known was too good a price. More needles were oxidized than not, though some were okay. Just for fun and games, I'm gradually stringing good, bad, and indifferent needles onto interconnected rings to form a mobile for my sewing room. I can only stand to do a few at a time, but eventually, it will look kinda cool.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.