The Sewing Place

Hand sewing needles recommendation please

crfrench

Re: Hand sewing needles recommendation please
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 22:04:34 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, I love them because they are very sharp and very precise. I had others before and the difference is huge. But I don't know which needles are sold in England, I am quite sure there are very good ones too. Someday I'll try Japonese ones, they are very famous too.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 02:09:52 AM »
I got several of the John James pebbles a couple of years ago - a huge range.

I don''t do a great deal of hand sewing in comparison to many here but my real favourites are the Clover Black Gold needles which slide beautifully through lycra.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:15 PM »
Just searched and found this old topic. I am so fed up with searching through my needle case to find a needle with a decent sized eye, that doesn’t jab into my fingers as I sew. I’m off now to look at John James embroidery needles. Hoping they’ll solve the problem and I can throw out most of the old ones. :D

Celia

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 16:40:40 PM »
If you can find them the Tulip needles are brilliant lots of choice and fantastic quality

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 18:14:14 PM »
If you can find them the Tulip needles are brilliant lots of choice and fantastic quality

I splashed out and bought one tube of them and I don't like them :scream:
Nowhere near as shiny and smooth as JJ or Clover.  Usually Japanese stuff is excellent, but these are not for me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Esme866

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 19:01:17 PM »
I usually use John James as they are so easy to pick up at quilting stores here, but I also ordered a tube of Tulip and LOVE them. Of course that tiny "oh-so-cute" glass tube is no where to be found at the moment. Its probably in hiding with the only thimble I've ever been able to use, a properly fitted tailors thimble I found at a thrift store. Did I make note of the size - of course not.

Tailors thimbles fit on the middle finger of the hand with pressure applied from the side. They do not have a top, so long nails are not an issue. Which is why I could never use a thimble - having long nails since age 11. They can also be easily slightly "smashed" to make for a more custom fit.

Just realized - Mom has a circular mm measuring device in a junk drawer in the kitchen. I've noticed it for the past year and kept thinking, " what did I need one of these for?" I can measure for a thimble!!!

Whoever brought this thread back up.....THANK YOU !!! :dance:

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 19:39:30 PM »
I only have 2 small sets of needles. An old wallet of Millward, probably 30 years old and really smooth - in the paper cases and putting the needles back through the paper is so satisfying.

The ones I use most are Maison Sajou. Very smooth and sharp in the right places. Also come in a lovely tactile wallet. They're unfortunately not very easy to get hold of any more. I need to look for some more as I've bent a few, recently.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 20:25:59 PM »
That’s strange @BrendaP the ones I have are very smooth, I started with the beading ones and then bought the sewing.  I have also tried the black clover needles can’t remember what they are called, I wasn’t sure I liked them but they are good for super sharp and I have used them, I do a lot of hand sewing and am always interested in different needles.

Surest1tch

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 21:35:10 PM »
@sewingj, I think you've got plenty of good advice there from the rest of the group but as far as thimbles go I use a rubber one these days (the kind they used to use for counting paper money) if my fingers are getting too punctured when I'm using fine needles if that's any help.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 22:34:27 PM »

The ones I use most are Maison Sajou. Very smooth and sharp in the right places. Also come in a lovely tactile wallet. They're unfortunately not very easy to get hold of any more. I need to look for some more as I've bent a few, recently.

Available from the Maison Sajou website, but I don't know what the shipping costs or taxes might come to.
https://sajou.fr/en/1512-needles-and-pins

Interesting that you've bent some needles - is it just a slight curve or really bent.  Needles are a grade of stainless steel and should break rather than bend (machine needles especially).  Pins tend to bend more than needles.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

StitchinTime

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »

@Ouryve Beyond Measure are based in the UK and have a small selection of Sajou needles.
https://shopbeyondmeasure.co.uk/collections/sajou

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 09:04:47 AM »
And there was me thinking a needle is just a needle, ok some are a bit bigger than others I suppose.  I think I'm using ones from my very early sewing days, I know I haven't bought any for about 35 years or more  :P

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 09:39:17 AM »
Hand needles can get blunt, just as machine needles do.

Celia

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
Also things like good beading needles are made so they bend and don’t snap, this can be useful when sewing on braids etc

Esme866

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2021, 05:54:34 AM »
Needles also microscopically rust over time, and you may not even realize they've done so.

@Bodgeitandscarper I FINALLY bought myself some Kai Scissors a few years ago and my sis gave me a pair of Gingher dressmakers two weeks later.

I can't believe I sewed with budget/cheap scissors for more than 40 years! What a HUGE difference! I slowly started upgrading the little bits and pieces like needles, thread snips, etc Next on the list is a pair of Kai 6" to use as trimmers at the machine.

Do yourself a big favor and upgrade a bit. It's worth it!