The Sewing Place

Suggestions sought please for 450g of lace weight yarn

Addiscomber

Suggestions sought please for 450g of lace weight yarn
« on: February 12, 2020, 19:47:31 PM »
I have bought approx 450g (in 9 balls) of lace weight yarn from ebay, in my daughter in law's favourite colour - purple. I want to knit something for her birthday which is at the end of August.

I don't think a shawl or a stole/wrap would be much good for her as they don't go to many events where one might be useful, and she travels on a very crowded and unreliable train line when she goes to work so doesn't need to be worrying about anything sliding off whilst she travels. So, ideally something with sleeves, but can anyone suggest where I could look for a pattern? I don't mind paying for one, but am reluctant to buy an expensive book of several designs if I cannot see the designs clearly.

Acorn

Re: Suggestions sought please for 450g of lace weight yarn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 21:25:40 PM »
Do you belong to Ravelry?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 22:09:15 PM »
Yes, I do, but I couldn't find anything that I thought she would like.

I'm currently searching on https://www.knittingpatternsgalore.com/ .

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »
Oooh - thank you for the link!!   0_0

Addiscomber

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
I like both of those - especially the first one.  I think I could be tempted by that one myself - I love knitting lace.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
Definitely not mindless knitting but the first one is especially nice.

Lucky DIL :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
I notice that the Drops Design one is for yarn group C which is Aran weight.  Their fine yarns like lace weight would be group A
Life's too short for ironing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 20:53:30 PM »
Oh D***. Can't imagine that in Aran weight - seems pointless to me. What I have got doesn't have ball bands, but it certainly isn't Aran.

It came up in a search for lace weight on https://www.knittingpatternsgalore.com/   Back to the drawing board.

Addiscomber

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 22:06:46 PM »
I went back to look at Ravelry again and now I am wondering about this one. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gazelle  but I will hold off buying the pattern until DS has told me what size I need to do.

I quite like this one too, but the thought of how it is knitted is scaring me  ><
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bells

Please can someone confirm that there are about 430yds in a 50g ball of lace weight, so with 5 balls I should have about 2,150yds? Can't get my head around quantities in yards rather than weight.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »
Has your yarn not got the yardage on the band?  It is generally on the band these days and is very useful when using a different yarn from the one the pattern is designed for.  The yardage can vary quite a lot for the same weight depending on the fibre used in the yarn.  I suspect the yarn used for that Drops pattern is Aran thickness but light weight.
Life's too short for ironing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
I got it from ebay, and it hasn't got bands.

Addiscomber

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 22:06:00 PM »
Well, I have done my tension sample and that is OK. It is a good job that I have nearly 6 months to do this as, although it wasn't difficult to knit with, it feels weird and akin to knitting with sewing thread  :) I'm pondering on knitting the back and two fronts altogether on a circular needle as the edges were a little bit ragged on the sample. Wish me luck.

Addiscomber

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
Sadly I have to report that I have given up. The yarn is so thin and thread like that knitted on 4.5mm needles stitches drop off and I cannot pick them up due to the pattern holes etc. The yarn specified is no longer available (indeed the company has gone out of business) and I cannot decide which of the current yarns would be a satisfactory substitute. The yarn will not be wasted, I will use it to make a shawl or something where exact sizing is not critical.

Next up will be a Thomas the Tank Engine cardigan, which I know will work as I knitted one for his father 30 years ago!