The Sewing Place

Two dolls

Ellabella

Two dolls
« on: February 13, 2020, 21:21:10 PM »
I have recently founds these two dolls that were made for my DD in the mid 80s.

I would love to restore them and give them to her 15m old daughter.

They’ve had a good bath and don’t look too bad apart from their hair which I am going to have to attempt to redo.  Also the boy dolls jacket is missing but I’m sure I can find a pattern somewhere to replicate that.

They were made by my aunt who is now in her 90s. I would love to be able to send her a photo of DGD playing with the dolls.

If anyone knows how to redo the hair I would love to know.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Addiscomber

Re: Two dolls
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 21:36:40 PM »
Jean Greenhowe has produced a lot of knitted doll patterns, some in books which your local library may have. May be if you got hold of one of those you could see how she has done the hair?

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 13:36:25 PM »
@Addiscomber you were  spot on!

It never occurred to me that they might be by Jean Greenhowe but after reading your comments I looked at her website.

I couldn’t find the original pattern there but could tell they were obviously her designs.

I then trawled through eBay and eventually found the patterns. Someone had taken them from a magazine,  Woman’s Weekly (my Grandma’s favourite).

I paid the princely sum of £3.00 and they arrived this morning. I was expecting a poor photocopy but got the original pages.

So, as soon as I’ve finished the hat and gloves that are on the needles, Topsy and Tim will be returned to their former glory.

Addiscomber

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 21:10:22 PM »
I wasn't sure if they were her designs, but thought her method would help you. What a result! So pleased for you.