The Sewing Place

Iron that lifts up

Ploshkin

Iron that lifts up
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
I seem to have inadvertently subscribed to Barnyarns  newsletter.  A few weeks back they announced that they were stocking irons (from the USA) that automatically lift.  I think they must have been popular because they seem to now be waiting for new stock.  The price was iirc £134
It was Jessie burning her ironing board cover that made me think about it.
This is it
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: Iron that lifts up
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 11:57:00 AM »
@Ploshkin , I first saw this when I was watching Lauren Mormino making handbags on YouTube, and she loves it - but it broke!  It seems very expensive too.

Mine is a Philips Perfect Care Performer and is a steam generator, and I love it.  It never gets so hot that it burns anything, and is designed to be left face down on the ironing board - this is why I was forgetting to stand the new temporary iron up... These aren't cheap either, I think OH has just paid £140 for a new one.  :S

I'm waiting for a quiet half hour so that I can ring Philips to see if there's anything they can do.

Jessie

eta, I will be making a new ironing board cover very soon!

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
I saw this iron on a promotion email from Empress Mills. It does seem to have a lot of functions, which we all know means it stands more chance of breaking down  :S

I bought a metal plate iron last year from Currys for £12 which I love, it's lightweight and it steams and squirts and gets hot  :) thasenuf
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 13:54:19 PM »
I saw this just before Christmas when I was following a US tutorial for something or other.  I think it's brilliant but very expensive.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 16:16:24 PM »
I missed lots of a MSQC tutorial because I was watching the iron.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 19:56:47 PM »
What is this thing called "iron"?  Should I be using one?  :P 0_0 0_0 0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 23:15:00 PM »
I saw it at the Knitting & Stitching show in Harrogate but it didn't appeal. Too easy to break I thought, especially by some lummox clumsily bending down and knocking the ironing board. I'm out of practice, says the woman who used to iron sheets and underwear...last century.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 06:03:04 AM »
They break easily.  The  local quilt shop sold them and had them in the classroom. Hard to get used to and I didn't like the point on them.

Spend your money on something else.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
I have no intention of buying one - I couldn't ever spend that much on an iron.  I could do with one that switches itself off though, I'm always leaving mine on.

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 14:17:24 PM »
I could do with one that switches itself off though, I'm always leaving mine on.

Many the mid range irons seem to have that now and a major relief when you've dashed out the door in a mad rush without time to put the board down and wonder half an hour later if you remembered to turn it off!  :[

When I first got mine I never seemed to forget but I've done it twice in the last week when I got distracted with the sewing.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 14:51:16 PM »
The trouble is, I leave the ironing board up all the time in the sewing room so the iron never gets put away unless we have visitors.  Many's a time I've heard a click when walking past the door and I've no idea how long (days?) its been switched on.  I only buy cheap irons but, to their credit, I've never had one burn out.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 16:55:24 PM »
My ironing board and iron are permanently out in my sewing room.  Before I leave the room I check round and make sure the iron, my lights (all 3 of them), my machines and the computer are all off. 
Now if I could just remember to take my iPad downstairs afterwards I’d save my legs!   :)