The Sewing Place

Pins... and pincushions

JudyN

Pins... and pincushions
« on: February 14, 2020, 19:55:31 PM »
I need new pins... most of mine have been pilfered from shirt packaging over the years and are tarnished & blunt. And a pincushion... but there's so much blinking choice nowadays I struggle to choose!

So, what are your favourite general purpose/dressmaking pins? Is there much to choose between them? And do you prefer a wrist pincushion, or a freestanding one, or just a box? Or maybe a magnetic one?

Kwaaked

Re: Pins... and pincushions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 20:53:08 PM »
I use Iris pins ball head and silk for 80% of my needs, but one pin will not really do it all.  And this wrist cushion.

Let me point out, I have a need of several things simply because I work with clients as well.  In my workroom, I tend not to use a lot of pins for construction.  I use weights or trace the pattern to fabric to cut out pieces. 

Draping, I tend to use #16 T pins, fork pins for plaids and cross seams and insect pins for really fine sheers.  I also have the standard applique pins and a banker's box of regular dressmaker pins for jobs where I know I am going to ruin, bend or lose a lot of them.

The Bohin has a few issues...if I work with fine lace it catches on clients' dress, the band has never adjusted to my bony square wrist and unless I am using silk pins, they cushion is hard to get them into.  However, for tailoring and male clients it gives a professional look.  This is something far more important to the men then the women.

I really want to have one of the neck boxes like they have at Dior and Chanel.  You can see it in the movie Signe Chanel, or the bad picture below. 

In my workroom, I just use pins out of a box.  A friend of my DH's makes me playing card boxes out of wood so all the specialized pins are in them, and I use the Iris out of the tin.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 21:51:08 PM »
I use these Prym glass head pins for just about everything. I have ball point pins too but the glass head are just much easier to handle.

I have two magnetic pin holders and use both, the small one was bought at the Knitting and Stitching show, the other came in a pack of 3 from Lidl - intended for screws I think. I highly recommend both.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] .
My home-made traditional pin cushion on the shelf just holds my hand sewing needles.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 21:58:12 PM by Vezelay »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 21:52:12 PM »
I like Iris silk pins.  Once they come out of the tin they go in a small plastic box so I keep them separate from the new ones.  I find they work well with most fabrics. 

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 22:15:36 PM »
I have prym glass headed pins too, which I use with a wrist pin cushion and a big pin cushion on the table. They're just stuffed with cushion stuffing. I'm not precious about my pins, maybe if I'd spent a lot of money on them I might be but these are good all-purpose pins  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 22:44:01 PM »
I like the longer pins and I have a big pincushion on the table.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
I have glass headed pins so I can find them when I drop them on the carpet!

I made myself one of those pin cushions in a teacup - quite easy and extra bits and pieces can be put in the saucer

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 09:10:18 AM »
I keep my bog standard ball headed pins on 2 magnetic pincushions which are
 on opposite sides of the room, one near my machine and one near the ironing board because I can guarantee that they will never be near me if I have only one lot.  The magnetic trays are great for picking up dropped pins.
I also have 2 other boxes of pins, long, flower head pins that I like for quilt piecing and fine, silk pins for fine fabrics.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
I also use the end of my ironing board as a pin cushion. There are always at least half a dozen pins pushed sideways into the padding.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
I only discovered in the last couple of years that there are different sorts of pins  :[

I use ordinary (Prym) pins for cutting out, either normal ones or ball-points, and prefer longer ones.

I then use ones with big heads on for sewing, some are just cheap ones, but I also have some very fine flower headed ones too.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
I do a lot of pinning and not much hand basting so I like pins that are easy to get hold of and always use ball head pins.  I have one tin of plastic headed ones which I prefer for general use as they are a bit longer (32mm I think) but they have to be kept away from the iron.   Also a tin of glass headed pins that can withstand the heat of the iron.

If I had need for very fine pins I'd raid the stash of lacemaking pins; I have some very fine glass headed insect pins and some very short, small headed Lils.

Pins have two measurements; the length and the diameter.  Length is usually about 28mm for regular dressmaking pins.  The diameter is between about 0.5mm (fine) to about 0.65mm (fairly thick).

I don't use pincushions much though I have several of them in a drawer.

Always buy a good brand.  I bought a batch of cheap pin wheels from China and ended up ditching them all as there were so many that were blunt or not pointed at all.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »
I have a few pretty glasshead pins, but for everyday use I have a tin of Iris superfine

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 14:06:15 PM »
Silk pins, definitely - and I just use them out of the box. :o
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

JudyN

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 14:10:58 PM »
Thank you everyone :D I'm quite tempted by the Iris plastic-headed ones as the tin is so pretty! Knowing me I'll probably end up going for the cutest pincushion too...

JudyN

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 14:13:49 PM »
Will silk pins still work if I'm working with denim?